chinese character list sorting out of order?

A

Anonymous

I'm using .87 on a Clie NX70V. When type english to look up chinese words, the results appear to be out of sequence. For example, if I am looking for 分 and type 'fen' (using the ABC dictionary), the results are ordered:
分, 酚, 纷, .... 分班, 分班测试, 分谤, ....

The results sorting mode is set to show sort phrases w/ the same leading words together, i.e. the icon is currently set to the "申,申申,申乙" mode.

When you input Chinese e.g. type in 分, you get the expected result, i.e. 分 followed immediately by 分一杯羹, 分不了, etc.

Hope you can fix this (hopefully minor) issue. Along with the problem of the "right" directional key not working on clie keyboards. And fix the problem where the hw input mode is 'forgotten' whenever the virtual graffiti is expanded/shrunk....

Noentheless, thanks for the great work, and I wait expectantly for an, ahem, official "real" release =)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The results actually are in order, they're sorted by Pinyin without regard to characters (much like the printed ABC dictionary, though we've chosen to sort by entire syllables rather than by letters as they do). But that really isn't all that useful on a PDA, so we've made some interface changes in the latest version and it will now be possible to rapidly scan through characters with a particular Pinyin syllable and jump to all the entries under a particular character.

Those other items are still on our bug list, but might not be fixed for a few more weeks.

A

Anonymous

I would prefer the order to be toneless, regardless of whether it's organized by syllable or letter. But I've learned to just enter the tone numbers to save the hassle of scrolling. The only problem is poyinzi and differences between guoyu/putonghua.

Mike, any comments on the possiblity of a new MakeDict for April release?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It all depends on how much of the next month we spend fixing bugs; we wouldn't want to risk missing yet another release date because we'd put programming resources into MakeDict that should have been used on fixing PlecoDict bugs, but if things go smoothly we might be able to get a new MakeDict out pretty soon after the finished release.