Cantonese audio won't play

boredfrog

Hi! Whenever I try to play Cantonese audio I get this error:

Screenshot_20240817_205231_Pleco.jpg

I tried the suggested actions. Google is already set as the system TTS engine. I clicked the gear in TTS settings and there is no option to Install Voice Data so I wasn't able to click that.
Since none of that worked I tried the Samsung engine and that caused the Cantonese audio button to disappear completely.

Has anyone encountered and resolved this before?

Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, is there no section to manage voices? Or languages? It varies between Android and Google TTS versions but you ought to see a subscreen where you can manage the voices for each language, and in that screen it should be possible to delete all of the voices for Cantonese.

Another option would be to install a free Cantonese-specific TTS engine like Ekho (APK at https://www.eguidedog.net/ekho.php) and use that instead.

boredfrog

Ok I feel so dumb but long story short it is working now. Some other setting I had on my phone seemed to prevent me from getting to the page where you can download all the separate language voices, and for some reason I didnt have Cantonese at all (it worked before but stopped recently..?)... So I just downloaded it and seems good. Thank you so much.