Beta Dictionary Updates

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've finally started cleaning up 21st Century, and while we're still not done yet, we're close enough to finishing the first, automated part of it (which we'll then follow with a second, slower, hand-checking part) that we think we now have something that's better than the current release version. So if you're using the beta version please go into the "Updates" tab and check it out - certainly should be a major leap forward in terms of formatting clarity at least. (we'll push this out in the official release version on iOS shortly, but figured we'd start with this much smaller pool just in case we managed to screw up something)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Adding to this, we've now updated ABC E-C in the Android beta as well, so please try that update too and let us know what you think. (bit less dramatic, but includes newer data and does a better job of putting sub-headwords in the main search index) Again, update will be out on iOS shortly as well. (once we get the data formats synchronized we'll add a permanent "beta dictionary registration" option on iOS so that we can get a larger pool of people testing immediately)

kyococo

秀才
It's not exactly the right thread but I'm now interested in both dictionaries (21st and ABC), is there a way to upgrade from basic to pro?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
kyococo said:
It's not exactly the right thread but I'm now interested in both dictionaries (21st and ABC), is there a way to upgrade from basic to pro?

Usually - email us with your details.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
It's been more than a week! Is the iOS version out yet? :(

No, we wanted to fix up NWP too (almost as bad as 21C and even more widely used) and that got a bit complicated due to having to juggle often-little-differentiated Pinyin and English bands - almost ready now, though, and the Pinyin misspellings that it's long been known for should be (mostly) expunged at last.

iOS should get all three right away, 21C/ABCEC/NWP - updated C-E/C-C dictionaries are trickier to deliver before our new app is released since we've changed the format of those a lot more (our heinously complicated new "variant" system), but in general those were in much better shape anyway; the only one that I'd say had significant formatting problems, GF, is still waiting on those darned 2nd edition data files and so hasn't got much attention in this round of fixes.

Yiliya

榜眼
Not sure if you guys forgot to update it or something, but the simplified variant (尸+从) of sóng 㞞 doesn't display correctly in the PLC dict, while ABC shows it just fine. I assume other rare characters might have the same problem.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yiliya said:
Not sure if you guys forgot to update it or something, but the simplified variant (尸+从) of sóng 㞞 doesn't display correctly in the PLC dict, while ABC shows it just fine. I assume other rare characters might have the same problem.

Thanks - we did indeed miss that one and two others, forgot that we'd used Wenlin PUA character codes for a few otherwise-unencodable-at-the-time characters in PLC. (that particular one was only added in Unicode 5.2, published in late 2009, as part of CJK Extension C)