Best cheapest used palm pilot to buy

boblever

I realize its a common story, but here I am in china (chengdu) and starting a year of Chinese language study. Love the Pleco. My palm Tungsten E2 died when I rode my bike through a raging rainstorm a couple of weeks ago. No more Pleco. From reading this forum and doing my own research, it is looking like buying a used palm on ebay or amazon is the best way to go, and then have it shipped here.

Anyone know how much memory minimum I will need on that palm to run Pleco 2 ? Is it best to buy a palm with an expansion slot, like the tungsten? What kind of shipping charges should I expect, and how long do I have to wait ?

bob

From the discussions on the beta boards, it seems that the E2 is problematic with Pleco2. If you must use an E2, then it is best not to install any other application. The TX runs fine. 1GB flash card should be plenty for all the Pleco2 software, dictionaries and sound files. There aren't that many other choices in the Palm platform.

radioman

状元
I use an E2, and would not go for anything below that level. The E2 is most definitely problematic due to the issues below, but I have to say that the latest version, Pleco 2 beta 7 is really solid on the unit.

With what I know now, I would be more concerned with things like the digitizer. On my E2, that is a disaster. Also, the E2 internal memory is way too small at 32 Mb (26 Mb usable).

I would not go cheaper than the E2 from a graphics perspective. The graphics on the E2 for Pleco are great (and I believe even better on the T5 with a bigger screen).

Also, the E2 is SUPER with battery life.

If the T5 battery is anywhere near the performance out of the E2, and if the digitizer problems are not too bad, it is likely what I would buy now.