Best approach to study new flashcards of a bigger deck?

Th41

举人
Hello,

Over the past few months I have been studying my new flashcards of my Chinese class using the frequency-adjusted mode with fill-in-the-gaps and promp for characters, which worked brilliantly and has helped me a lot!

However, I have also been adding new words I encounteted that are not part of my Chinese class to a different deck. Now, during my holidays I am trying to study those but I really get into trouble. Unlike as with my first deck where my new words were limited to a few flashcards per week, I am now working with a set of over 200 words and I really don't know what to do, because when trying to study them I get asked way too many new flashcards at once.
Limiting them improves the situation, but inxreasing the limit afterwards to study more at that day leads to having the already learned words being repeated every time which amounts to a lot of unnecessary work.

Is there no way to just test on new words once and then receive a new set of new cards, maybe with the option of trying reviewing all of the flashcards of that day, if you want to do so?
How should I best approach working through my deck?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The best approach for highly customized study like this would probably be card filters - if you add a "time filter" to your test, you can use that to easily exclude cards that you've already reviewed recently.

In general I'd also recommend against frequency-adjusted in a situation like this - if you're trying to drill a bunch of new cards then it's really best to keep things simple, a randomized test with card filters.

You can encapsulate all of these settings in a new profile (Manage Profiles) to avoid mucking with the settings from your usual test.

Th41

举人
Thank you for your reply! That sounds good.
Pleco is by far my most used app on my phone and an incredibly helpful asset for learning Chinese, but the flashcard addon is really hard to handle due to its customizability. I read improving it is on your to-do list, so I'm looking forward to that. Keep up the good work! :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Indeed, though the customizability is also what makes scenarios like this possible - the tricky thing is balancing customizability with the need to support every way that people might want to study flashcards :)