Being able to choose Deepl also in the "translate" option.

eibar04

It would be very convenient if it could be done since Deepl is much smarter than Google translator when translating from Chinese. And more so now that the Deepl app for android is available.
I understand that the case is different because Deepl (at least on android) has no offline option, and, correct me if I'm wrong, Pleco makes use of the languages downloaded offline from the google translate app.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's not that, it's that Google Translate has a well-defined standard free Intent we can use to pull it up.

For Deepl it seems like we'd have to use their paid API; it's not terribly expensive, $25 per 1M characters, but nevertheless we'd have to rig up some sort of a system for usage- or subscription-based billing and charge people for it, and given the free availability of Google Translate, I'm not sure if enough people would opt for Deepl to justify the effort to add all of that new code.

Frankly also there's likely to be a gigantic pile-on in this space in the near future thanks to the current boom in LLMs, so it's entirely possible that within another year or two there'll be an open-source language translation model (along the lines of Stable Diffusion for images) of similar quality that we can use offline + without paying anybody anything.