Axim x50v memory error reset problem + solution

I had an issue with my Axim that I figure some other people might also encounter, so I'm putting up a little post describing the problem and the solution.

Over the past three weeks or so my Axim x50v PDA began to reset on me and come up with the error "A memory error has been detected. Press (menu button) to correct the error." Fortunately, clicking the button only caused a soft-reset, so I never ended up loosing anything that had already been saved. After a little while I figure out that a sharp tap to the machine was what was causing this reset, and being a bit careful with my machine let me use it anyways.

At first I thought it must be some loose connection within the PDA (and hence probably un-reparable), but after some research I found out that this error often occurs when the machine looses power during normal operation. Looking at my battery terminals it turns out that there was some oxidation / grime on them, and simply wiping the contacts one by one with a damp cloth solved my problem.

So if anyone else is seeing these symptoms, try cleaning your battery contacts or getting a replacement battery before you send your PDA in for repair!

I'd suggest you go back and wipe them with an alcohol swipe/pad, rather than water. You want something that is completely waterless, as water will cause more corrosion. Alternately, you could be sure it was completely dry by warming/heating it, but I don't recommend that.

You make a good point - I should have pointed out that I used a towel that was only very slightly damp, and made sure to dry the surfaces completely before putting it back together.

Of course alcohol would be the best choice if you have it available.