Auto complete pronunciation when making flashcards?

vibu1919

秀才
Hi all,

Been using the app for a year and it obviously rocks.

I'm starting to invest serious time in making sentence flashcards to work on my listening. I enter the hanzi, then I have to manually type out the pinyin every single time. It feels very tedious, and it seems that if I've already typed out the hanzi, there should be some way for the pronunciation/pinyin field to be able to auto-populate. Does anyone know of a way to make this happen? It would save me a pretty huge amount of time.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Go into Settings / Search Interface and set “unknown word” at the bottom to “card.”

After that, you can enter the characters for your new card in the Pleco search box and then tap on the button at the top of the result list to make a new card from them with the pinyin filled in.

vibu1919

秀才
Go into Settings / Search Interface and set “unknown word” at the bottom to “card.”

After that, you can enter the characters for your new card in the Pleco search box and then tap on the button at the top of the result list to make a new card from them with the pinyin filled in.

Rather than make a new thread, could I ask you another question Mike? tl;dr, I'm trying to write gobs of sentences on my PC and import them, and I'm having trouble. I read the manual and it looks like I'm doing everything correctly.

So far I'm making a text file in textedit on an iMac, saving it as a .xml file, and importing it through wifi. The app on my phone receives the file, I use the import tool, and I receive a "success" message, but I go to organize cards and can't find the cards anywhere. I did read through the manual. I'm afraid there's some impossible to find formatting mistake I'm making, so I thought I'd ask.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sharing the file with Pleco isn’t enough; once the file is in Pleco’s storage area you need to go to Import/Export / Import Cards to import it.

vibu1919

秀才
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't clear in the above message. I AM doing that step. I receive a message in the app saying "import successful: cards added" or something to that effect, and nothing is added. Nothing in "Uncategorized", no cards anywhere. I've looked at other people's txt files to try and match their formatting. At this point I think I'm doing some formatting thing wrong or something. Is there a detailed resource or walkthrough somewhere to get through this? Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Does the text come through OK in the preview dialog?

Could you post a sample of the file here (or if it’s sensitive DM it to me)?

vibu1919

秀才
For some reason this forum isn't letting me attach the files. I have .xml and .rtf. Maybe that's the issue? It needs to be .txt?

vibu1919

秀才
I figured out how to save as .txt in TextEdit just now. I'm gonna take a minute to test that to see if it solves the problem.

vibu1919

秀才
Woohoo! It imported. That's a derp moment on my part. Final step is seeing if there's a way to automate pinyin pronunciation entry to save time, but the main problem is solved. Thanks for the help.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There’s a command in Organize / Edit / Batch to automatically fill in pinyin for cards that are missing it.

vibu1919

秀才
Just saw that and am trying to do it. My app is crashing every time I do it. Tried 5-6 times now. Possibly of interest to you? I'll send some screenshots.

Attachments

• IMG_3186.PNG
    IMG_3186.PNG
    179.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3183.PNG
    IMG_3183.PNG
    139.7 KB · Views: 289