Are there any limitations for user-generated dictionaries?

s85

秀才
I'm using my own dictionary software for WM, recently decided to try Pleco. I'd like to use databases I have. Reconverting isn't a big deal, but user-generated dictionaries may have certain limitations, i.e. article length, number of articles, etc
Are there any limitations for user-generated dictionaries?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I wouldn't recommend the function that creates entries right on the device for a large dictionary right now - it's too slow and too buggy. There aren't any specific limitations on the number of articles or length of them but beyond a thousand entries or so it really starts to get kind of awkward. The system in 2.0 is better in a lot of ways (entries are actually sorted, for example) but it's still a lot slower than a premade dictionary.

So probably the best bet would be to use the MakePlecoDict utility now and its 2.0 equivalent once we release that - that puts dictionaries in basically the same format as our official, built-in ones.

s85

秀才
well... my custom-made dictionaries usually have 20000+ entries... anyway, thank you for the reply... now I really need to think it over

ipsi

状元
I think what Mike meant was that you should use the free utility for Pleco called "Make Plecodict", which will produce dictionaries in the same format as the ones you pay for. Given how large they are, 20,000 entries shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you want, you could send the dictionary to someone with a full copy of Pleco to test, provided they're not copyrighted or something, or otherwise personal.