Apple App Store download trouble in China

dvbssman

Anybody else located in China having trouble with this? Most of the time my updates freeze up during the download then I can no longer use the App. Most of the time I can successfully restore the App by deleting it from my iPad 3 then reinstalling from the "Purchased" tab in the App Store App. This morning I tried to update Pleco and had the same problem. I deleted Pleco but in the last couple of hours I have not been successful restoring it. I assume I lost all my flashcards and for now I don't even have my Pleco dictionary that I so much depend on.

dvbssman

Upon further investigation the problem seems to only be with my iPad 3. I don't have the problem with my iPhone 4. Both devices are using the latest version of iOS so this problem seems very strange. Anybody else having this problem with their iPad?

gato

状元
Most of the time my updates freeze up during the download then I can no longer use the App.
Could you elaborate on the problem:
1. How many times has this problem occured?
2. How much has been downloaded (in the progress meter) before the download gets stuck?
3. Are you seeing any error message?
4. Are you seeing the same problem when downloading other apps?
5. How long have you used your iPad 3? Sometimes there is a delay in the App store for account verification when a device is first used in China. I've had to resort to using VPN when downloading apps when I first started using my iPad in China.

dvbssman

Thanks for your help Gato.
1. It has occurred many times this year, maybe 50% of the time when I update apps. Last year, when I first got my iPad 3 this problem never occurred.
2. The downloads freeze up right at the beginning when less than 10% has been downloaded.
3. The only error message on my iPad is "Unable to download Application 'insert app name' could not be downloaded at this time". My iPhone, however, downloads ok during the same time.
4. Yes the problem occurs with all apps. I suspected it was a local China problem which is why I am looking for help on this forum with many Pleco users living in China.
5. I have used my iPad 3 for 1.5 years and last year with no problem. Lately my vpn has not worked well on my iOS devices. They either don't register or the speed is extremely slow. The same vpn service works well on my PC.

dvbssman

It was extremely slow but I was able to reinstall Pleco using my vpn. Now I am downloading all my paid add-ins and can do that without using vpn so much faster. Hopefully this tread will help others in the future.

yoose

探花
this is a bit late, but I have the same problem sometimes with both my iPad and my iPhone 4. As far as I can tell it is not consistent and could be related to the strength of the WI-FI signal.

gabor

探花
I can only recommend spending a bit on a reliable vpn for your stay in China. If you only have this problem occasionally, then try to update apps from another network, another wifi. Might be choosy, was the case for me at least.

Might I ask, what VPN are you using? Don't have any experience with them. Are they easy to setup? What do they cost per month etc.

魏波德

I am not an expert but from my own experience I can recommend Astrill, i have been using it for half a year now and never (99%) had connection or speed problems. If you sign up for a year then its less than 6 $/month. A friend of mine told me StrongVPN to be good and reliable as well and its a bit cheaper (i think 50$ per year), but i havent tested it myself.

Setup for astrill is easy, u just download a little tool and then log in with your account , one click and you are connected. Loads of servers spread around the world, too.