android tablets with stylus and smooth character recognition

andria

秀才
Which android tablets work with a stylus? Which have smooth character recognition? (I believe the latter requires good open-source drivers that Pleco can work well with?)

What about the previously mentioned Ainol

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: android tablets with stylus and smooth character recogni

andria said:
Which android tablets work with a stylus?

Samsung seems to have the most developed custom stylus system at this point, but it's expensive and proprietary and honestly pretty much any tablet will work with a stylus designed for use with tablet touchscreens - any electronics store should carry several models of those, or you can find them online by searching for "tablet stylus."

andria said:
Which have smooth character recognition? (I believe the latter requires good open-source drivers that Pleco can work well with?)

This is not really much of an issue anymore with the widespread availability of Android 4.0 - as long as the tablet is running that OS or later you shouldn't have to worry about slow stroke capture (unless it's unusually buggy). In general in the 7" tablet space I'd recommend the iPad Mini or the Google Nexus 7, so since you're wanting an Android tablet the Nexus 7 would be my choice - very good features for the price and because it's a Nexus it gets the latest Android OS updates as soon as they're ready.

Regarding the Nexus 7, I have one and it really is nice and fast as well.

However, the one downside is that it doesn't have a rear facing camera, so you're not going to be able to use OCR very easily. It is possible to "turn it around" and take photos (without seeing what's on the screen), but the image would be reversed from what the OCR module is expecting, as far as I know. I haven't tried that in a long while, since I also have an ASUS 10.1" tablet.

Google now has a newer 10" version, I believe, or at least it's been announced as available sometime in November... (I think).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
However, the one downside is that it doesn't have a rear facing camera, so you're not going to be able to use OCR very easily. It is possible to "turn it around" and take photos (without seeing what's on the screen), but the image would be reversed from what the OCR module is expecting, as far as I know. I haven't tried that in a long while, since I also have an ASUS 10.1" tablet.

True - I don't generally recommend live OCR'ing with tablets anyway (very awkward to position them properly) but if that's something you were hoping to do with your tablet then you'd want one with a rear camera instead.

andria

秀才

So is OCR with a 7" tablet (with rear camera) just more cumbersome, or do the results tend to be worse? Anyone else find it works well for them?