Adding documents via Web

MMarks

举人
I've successfully added a number of files to Pleco on iPod and on iPad, but every time I get tied up in knots.
I have Macs with Windows on them for work.

Today I wanted the script of the film A Simple Life (Tao Jie) in Mandarin. At shooter.cn I found several files. I downloaded one called Blu-Ray as a rar file but I have forgotten how I open them. I assume I need a separate program on Mac or Windows. Anyway, I seem to have opened it and the file opened correctly in Microsoft Word, calling itself Simplified Chinese GB2312. I have saved it as a txt file and a docx file. But as far as I remember, I need UTF-8 for Pleco. Is that right? I can't seem to convert it.

I'd be extremely grateful for anything to help me improve my procedure. Perhaps I simply chose the wrong file at shooter.cn - I know I can get subtitles there, in fact some months ago I got the files for the Taste of China food films, but I never know which file is which.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
MMarks said:
Today I wanted the script of the film A Simple Life (Tao Jie) in Mandarin. At shooter.cn I found several files. I downloaded one called Blu-Ray as a rar file but I have forgotten how I open them. I assume I need a separate program on Mac or Windows. Anyway, I seem to have opened it and the file opened correctly in Microsoft Word, calling itself Simplified Chinese GB2312. I have saved it as a txt file and a docx file. But as far as I remember, I need UTF-8 for Pleco. Is that right? I can't seem to convert it.

Pleco works fine with GB - if the file is in GB (or might be) you'll see an encoding prompt the first time you try to open it. So as long as it's a GB text file (as opposed to a GB Word document) it should be fine.

MMarks

举人
That doesn't seem to be how it works. If the document offers to load in Word as GB, and I save it as txt, then TextEdit won't open it in Mac because it says it is not UTF-8 and it appears as gibberish in Pleco when uploaded.

That's why I wondered what I did wrong here. Previously, my best was of getting a UTF-8 file was in Word for Windows, and I could save it as txt in that format. So I'm wondering whether I used another RAR unpacker before or downloaded the wrong file or what.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
MMarks said:
That doesn't seem to be how it works. If the document offers to load in Word as GB, and I save it as txt, then TextEdit won't open it in Mac because it says it is not UTF-8 and it appears as gibberish in Pleco when uploaded.

Are you sure Word is saving it as a GB text file? The "Save As" box would identify the file format as text, and it would probably have a .txt extension. Is Word not giving you an option to save it as UTF-8 instead of GB?