2 PDA's One User Name

Luo Yang

举人
After reading about some people having two PDA's for different uses I am curious, if I have two palm pilots with the same OS (Palm 4) running with the same user id, can they be synced with the same computer as if they are one Palm? With this confuse the system or will it just keep them both in sync together? If changes are made to one, will they then sync to the computer and then to the other palm? Will they be able to communicate with each other via infrared or will having the same user ID cause problems?

Will this all work (or if not, what won't work) or will it confuse the palms and/or computer?

Thank you,
Luo Yang

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm not sure what it'll do to infrared, but for syncing in general this is a Bad Idea; unless they're the exact same model of Palm, there'll still likely be a few system files that differ, in which case files from one will likely cause crashes or other odd behavior on the other, on top of which I'm not sure if the Palm OS memo/todo/calendar/etc record synchronization system can handle the back-and-forth jumping between modification dates on the two different Palms.

Aunty

举人
Beaming works fine between any two PDAs with the same name.

Sync doesn't. If they are identical models you can set it up very carefully, so that hanheld A does a normal sync and handheld B does only a take from the PC, and you might think that would work. One of two things happens. Either you have to manually change the sync type each time which will only work a couple of times before you get it round the wrong way and lose the lot. Or, quite likely, the desktop program will recognise that it's not the same PDA and won't play ball.

Are you entering appointments into your calendar all the time and living by it daily? And if so, do you have to enter some of those appointments on your PC instead of always on the PDA? If you answered yes to both of those, you'll want to sync. Otherwise, why bother? Just get a good backup program (to backup to the SDCard) and a USB card reader to copy those backups onto your PC or a CD for storage.