1.0.2 Requests?

Hi Mike

Just wondering if it would be possible to add 'Prev/Next' buttons to the Flashcard Self-Test Mode.
(Similar to 'Prev/Next' in Flashcard Review Mode)

I was also wondering what the Dictionary preference order was for Importing Flashcard lists.
(The Default seems to be the Oxford.
Is it possible for a User to change this).

I would find it useful if there was an option to show the Dictionary a Flashcard Definition was being displayed from.

The Duelist :D

BTW: Thanks For A Fantastic Product
Your Efforts Are Very Much Appreciated 8)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Possible, but it might be a little tricky to squeeze it into the available screen space, plus there's the issue of what to do with multiple answers for the same card - do we count them all or do we just replace the last one? It seems like it would further muddle the already not-exactly-straightforward flashcard user interface - might be best to wait until we've streamlined and polished that before we add any new buttons to deal with.

List imports will start with whatever your currently-selected dictionary is; if the dictionary active in PlecoDict's main screen is the (unlocked) ABC then the ABC should be used for flashcard imports as well.

baturjan

秀才
Giving the stroke order would keep me from having to go to Wenlin. It's the only reason I turn on Wenlin, now that I have PlecoDict. I'm in my first year of language study, and maybe stroke order isn't that important in the second+ year.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It does get a little less important, but certainly stroke order is something we'd like to add - the main reason we haven't already is that we have yet to find a good database of character stroke data that we can license at a price we're comfortable with. We were originally going to develop one ourselves for the handwriting recognizer we planned to develop for the Pocket PC version, but that project fizzled when we got the Hanwang license - we do have another project in the works that might give us the database we need, though.

gandq

探花
1.0.2 ?

Hi Mike,

just checking: what about the 1.0.2 release for palm?

This thread has become a bug report, so i didn't follow it lately. Please excuse me if you already answered my question somwhere in there.

Greetings,

jo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1.0.2 is turning out to be significantly more work than we originally thought (as evidenced by the size of this thread), so we're waiting until after we've released the first Pocket PC beta before we go ahead full-bore on that. But it should be available within a few weeks after we release that first Pocket PC version.

Custom Dictionary Pronounciation Field

Hi Mike

Just wondering if it would be possible to increase the number of Characters allowable in the Pronounciation Field for a Custom Dictionary Entry.
I am trying to Define a long compound phrase and have run out of character space.
(eg New Practical Chinese Reader: Xin1 Shi2yong4 Han4yu3 Ke4ben3)

:idea: Maybe an increased limit (150-200 chars) would also allow short custom phrases to be Defined and Used as Flashcards.

TIA

The Duelist

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That shouldn't be too difficult - there's a limit of I think 14 syllables in the Pinyin index, but that wouldn't restrict the length of the Pinyin text you could add.

gandq

探花
Mike,

i support The Duellist's suggestion.

Got another 1.0.2 request that shouldn't be very hard to implement: a 'jump to end of list' option (or something similar) for the 'edit list' screen. If a list is very large, manual scrolling is really annoying. This would be especially helpful when one has wrongly added an entry and wants to remove it.

Thanks,

jo.

Hi Mike

Here is another Enhancement I would find useful.

:idea: I would like to be able to Create New Flashcard Lists with
Cards Selected from Existing lists having Specified Flags.
(ie Something like an Option on 'Manage Lists: New List'
with a 'Require Flags' (from selected lists) option to Copy/Move Selected Cards to the New List. )

Hope this makes sense

TIA

The Duelist

BTW: I'm now a Xiucai :lol:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gandq - good idea, but where would we put these buttons? Adding them to the bottom of each list would just make it harder to scroll short distances, and there isn't really anywhere we could squeeze them in between the lists. We could add them above/below the scroll arrows within the lists themselves, I suppose, but that would actually be quite a lot of work and it seems sort-of wasted when we're planning to completely redesign the Edit Lists screen in 1.1 anyway. (including a scrollbar) So I know it's annoying to have to deal with these long lists but the situation will at least be improved in 1.1.

The Duelist - another good idea, but another thing that probably won't make it into 1.0.2. The feedback is appreciated (and I suppose this has become something of a general-purpose feedback thread now), but really the point of 1.0.2 is to fix bugs and resolve a few annoying design problems - basically to tide people over until whatever point in 2006 version 1.1 comes out with some more major design and feature changes.

KangSir

秀才
gandq said:
If a list is very large, manual scrolling is really annoying. This would be especially helpful when one has wrongly added an entry and wants to remove it.

Gandq- There is a work around for this: Just copy an entry over from the other list, this will jump the list you want to get to the bottom to the last entry.which is now the entry you just copied over. Now delete that entry.

This is just 2 taps, Copy, then Delete. and you're at the bottom of the list.

KangSir

秀才
Re: Custom Dictionary Pronounciation Field

The Duelist said:
Maybe an increased limit (150-200 chars) would also allow short custom phrases to be Defined and Used as Flashcards.

Yes, that's what I'm going to want to do after I get my card reader and can get it figured out.

gandq

探花
@ KangSir - thanks for the hint. I figured that out myself, but i know that Mike is a perfectionist, so i wanted him to know that something is less-than-perfect in his otherwise great program.

Cheers,

jo.

Hi Mike

I have a Late Enhancement Request for PlecoDict Palm 1.0.2 (Official).
(But One I Think Useful and Maybe 'Easy' to Implement :wink:)

Would It be Possible to:
:idea: Display Flashcard List Name that a Flashcard is in On the Flashcard Info Screen.
This would Enable the User to more Easily Note which List a Card is In (when Testing from Multiple Lists),
Then Tidy them up Later. (ie Flashcard Manage:Move/Delete cards)

I have Not Experimented with the 'Allow Session List Changes' Option
since the Help STRONGLY Recommends NOT Using the Option.

TIA
The Duelist

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm afraid it is a little too late for even this sort of change, but if you check the "Allow Session List Changes" option but don't actually use it (i.e., never change the list but simply look at which list is currently selected) you should be OK.

mikelove said:
Check the "Allow Session List Changes" option but don't actually use it (i.e., never change the list but simply look at which list is currently selected) you should be OK.
:lol: Thanx Mike
This is 'Hidden' Feature is EXACTLY what I was After.
(I had Not even Checked the 'Allow Session List Changes' Option to Get the Confirmation Box :wink:)

The Duelist