Word list for OCR'ed text or other texts with several eords

trip

Being on a trip to China I enjoy using this app on my iPhone very much.
Since I got a local mobile as well, I have the chance to compare certain features.

One detail I dearly miss in pleco is the possibility to create some kind of word list of OCR'ed texts or of texts like description on a sign I try to understand.

Another Chinese dictionary on Android system named (redacted) provides such a feature. I simply write down all the characters of a text and it shows me in the dictionary section a list of the words used in this text. This works for short texts and for long texts.

Is there a way to do that with pleco, too? Using the same text in pleco leads to a very short lust - just the first word of the text. Not even the second word is listed.

I use the full version of pleco and tried to change the settings but I don't get any word list as in (redacted).

Thanks for any help.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Word list for OCR'ed text or other texts with several eo

trip said:
One detail I dearly miss in pleco is the possibility to create some kind of word list of OCR'ed texts or of texts like description on a sign I try to understand.

Another Chinese dictionary on Android system named (redacted) provides such a feature. I simply write down all the characters of a text and it shows me in the dictionary section a list of the words used in this text. This works for short texts and for long texts.

We support that too (in fact we were supporting it before that app even existed) - just enter a search in characters and you'll see it broken down in the results box. To get this with OCR, turn on the "Take over wild button" and "Copy results to search box" options in Settings / OCR; then, launch the OCR by tapping on the "OCR" button in the toolbar underneath the search bar, point it at what you want to recognize, pause, and go back to the search screen and you'll see the results broken down for you.

trip

Word list for OCR'ed text or other texts with several words

Thanks for your detailed reply.

The point is that the braking-up function does not work. The search ("Dict") shows either the first word or a list of words starting with the first character. Not even the second word is explained.

Copying OCR resultes automatically or by hand makes no difference. Again only the first word is shown.

Is it possible that anything in settings blocks that braking-up fubction? I changed several settings to find out the problem. It didn't work.

Thanks a lot for the tip about transferring my licence to Android. I can install Pleco after my trip only because surprisingly this app is not available via the Chinese Android app store.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

trip said:
The point is that the braking-up function does not work. The search ("Dict") shows either the first word or a list of words starting with the first character. Not even the second word is explained.

Settings / Dictionary / Search Results / Split Incomplete Searches is the relevant setting, but it should be on by default. You're definitely entering characters and not Pinyin, right? (it doesn't work for Pinyin because there are too many results for it to be useful)

trip said:
Copying OCR resultes automatically or by hand makes no difference. Again only the first word is shown.

Can you give me an example of some text that this happens with, along with which dictionary you're searching in?

trip said:
Thanks a lot for the tip about transferring my licence to Android. I can install Pleco after my trip only because surprisingly this app is not available via the Chinese Android app store.

Search for "CN Pleco Chinese Dictionary" - we have an alternate version of our app that is available in China, the regular one is not because it uses in-app purchasing and apps that do that are barred from Google Play in China.

trip

Wonderful!

The splitting switch was on, but I switched it off and on again after having restarted the app.

Fascinating is that this function still does not work perfectly. For most texts I tested word lists are created.

The following message is an example where just the first word is shown:

点击确认进入中国移动为您提供的实用服务体验丰富多彩的移动数字生活取消则进人手机界面

Even omitting some characters does not change the result. The Android Chinese app HP has no difficulties with this text and lists all words.

Is there a hidden message or character in this text which stops Pleco reading further words?

One problem solved, new Qs pop up:

Is there a way to safe the listed words somehow? That would be perfect for repeating words.

Androids Chinese app let's one mark the whole text as "starred" expression. Finding it again is easy. In Pleco only the document sections seems to offer a way to save longer expressions.

BTW: In Beijing it is impossible to get the Pleco app from the Chinese app store.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

trip said:
The following message is an example where just the first word is shown:

点击确认进入中国移动为您提供的实用服务体验丰富多彩的移动数字生活取消则进人手机界面

I just copy-and-pasted this into our current iOS app and it worked perfectly... which dictionary are you looking in? Are you running the latest version of Pleco? There was a bug that could sometimes screw up sentence breakdowns with punctuation marks in the middle of them but we fixed it several releases ago - check the App Store "Updates" tab to make sure you're using the latest version.

trip said:
Is there a way to safe the listed words somehow? That would be perfect for repeating words.

They'll show up in the "Searches" section of History, and you can also configure Pleco to let you create a flashcard or user dictionary entry from them in the main screen if you've got our flashcard add-on; Settings / Dictionary / Entry Commands and turn on "Always show edit button" and "Tap-hold create card," then when you want to save one of these to a flashcard you simply tap-hold the "pen" icon at the bottom of the screen. A simpler option for this should be forthcoming in our next update.

trip said:
BTW: In Beijing it is impossible to get the Pleco app from the Chinese app store.

As I said, you need our "CN Pleco Chinese Dictionary" app instead - here's the link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pleco.chinesesystem.cn

We aren't able to make our regular app accessible from Beijing (nor is the paid version of that other app you mention available there, incidentally) because Google doesn't allow developers to list paid or free-with-in-app-purchase apps there.