WM replacement for Treo650?

sthubbar

榜眼
I am a loyal Treo650 fan, love the full keyboard without having to rotate the phone, as well as the long battery life.

I purchased an HTC TyTn II and found the having to rotate for keyboard and short battery life were not to my liking.

The form factor of the Palm Pre is exactly what I would like. Unfortunately I am doubting the success of the device because of the lack of apps and what I am reading about the OS.

I see there is a Treo Pro and Treo 800W which seem to meet the keyboard requirement. Are there other phones that use this form factor?

Anyone have input on these two phones? Good battery life?

ipsi

状元
Palm Treo Pro - I have one and I really like it. WM isn't as snappy as POS, but it's not too bad on the Pro. It's got a 320x320 screen, decent battery life for a modern WM device - better than my 680 without the extended battery, but I'd be surprised if it was as good as the 650. You may not find the keyboard to your liking if you do a huge amount of typing, but it's not too bad.

EDIT: There are a few other phone that use this form factor. A Motorola one, I think? Be careful that you're looking at Windows Mobile professional devices - standard ones lack a touchscreen.

I also love the Pre form-factor, and I wish there were more touch-screen devices like it. Pleco for WebOS is currently unlikely - see the WebOS thread - but I think the platform could be very successful. It just needs to be marketed heavily and eventually opened up to lower-level development.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The newly-released Samsung Epix is another phone in that style - I haven't had a chance to try one out yet, but it's nice and thin, and if the keyboard is similar to the earlier phones it replaces it should be quite typing-friendly.

There's also the HP iPAQ 910 series - not particularly exciting or sexy-looking, but the reviews seem generally favorable and they certainly have plenty of experience making WM devices.

Azabu

举人
I have the i780 which is the non-US version of the Epix. Apart from coming to grips with WM (its awkward) since switching from a Treo 680, the phone itself is pretty good. Annoyances are relatively minor - the keyboard is a little cramped, the battery cover is a pain to get off, the 320 x 320 resolution doesn't always fit well with all WM applications. The mouse D-pad isn't too bad but again it sometimes seems slower than a traditional d-pad.

I might try a Nokia 5800 to see if Styletap on Symbian supports Plecodict.

otronix

I'm in the same position. Lost my Treo650.

I tried some WM machines (HTC touch), but they seemed VERY slow. That is a deal breaker, IMO. I gotta be like quick-draw McGraw otherwise I won't bother looking anything up, you know?

The Epix / i780 does look lovely however. Is it quick enough on the draw?