When does iCloud sync happen?

koreth

榜眼
I sometimes notice that when I review some flashcards on my iPhone then try to do another review session later in the day on my iPad or vice versa, Pleco doesn't immediately incorporate the results of the earlier test session. But sometimes it works seamlessly.

If I exit and relaunch Pleco, it suddenly learns about the previous session and I'm off to the races. I'd be happier if there were a process I could follow that'd cause it to sync properly every time (barring issues with iCloud itself which are obviously outside Pleco's control) -- at what points does the app write to and read from iCloud, so I can make sure I trigger that behavior?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We actually don't control that - we write changes out from RAM to a file in a special storage area for iCloud synced files almost immediately (anytime a certain number of changes have accumulated but in no event more than 30 seconds after a change) but it's up to the system when it then decides to upload those changes to iCloud.

In (probably) 3.2 we're adding support for automatic merging of changes between database versions, which will make waiting for a file to sync less annoying at least (no 'which version do you want to keep' screen), but there isn't a good way we know of to force an immediate iCloud sync. (maybe in iOS 8?)