Uploads via Wifi doesn't work

rhizome

秀才
Hi, when I enter the required address in my browser it doesn't work. I get: "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to" followed by the url. Any clues as to why? Firefox doesn't work either.

Trying to download flashcard set via wifi.

Cheers!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Did you enter the numbers after the : too? Also, are you sure you're on the same WiFi network on both devices?

rhizome

秀才
yup! I transferred the file via USB now instead, which works too. But I thought I'd let you know it didn't work.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - it's kind of flaky now in general, we know a few people rely on it so we don't want to eliminate it entirely but we're very much looking forward to cross-platform AirDrop support in iOS 8 / Yosemite.

JD

状元
Does the cross-platform API in iOS8 also support network drives (SMB)? My network drives give me my own "local cloud" when I'm on my network, but many apps can't support them. It be a nice addition if that came for "free", but I'm not up on the intricacies of iOS.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Do you mean the iOS cross-platform API for opening shared documents? I haven't heard anything about it coming with SMB support built-in, but I'm pretty sure it's something that a third-party app could potentially add assuming Apple didn't have some sort of bizarre objection.

JD

状元
If I search the iTunes AppStore for SMB, there aren't a lot of apps that allow you to connect to network drives. Many apps support Dropbox and Google drive and other "real" cloud solutions, but not local NAS. It's a nice feature, but I imagine the demand is pretty small. I have a couple apps that do connect to NAS, GoodReader being one example.

I've found with my iPad and Network dive on my home network, I rarely use my full-size computer for any data transfer, but still get to keep several TB of data locally secure on the network drive, and accessible to all my mobile devices...but it's probably more complicated than most people want to maintain at home. But I keep all my Chinese PDF's sourced on my network drive, and it would be nice to connect more directly to Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, I meant that SMB support is something that a 3rd party could add in iOS 8 via the new File Storage Provider system.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well we're certainly going to be supporting File Storage Providers, so assuming somebody writes one of those for SMB (seems incredibly likely - if somehow nobody else does then we ought to develop one ourselves since it would be a very lucrative app) then it should be quite easy to pull up files from it in Pleco.