Update -> strange stroke diagrams?

On iPhone 6, updated to i)S 9 and then to Pleco 3.2.7. After the update, stroke diagrams include extraneous elements. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix? I've shut iPhone off completely and rebooted, and that did not change the behavior. One odd thing: the extraneous strokes are not deterministic. See character jiu4 -- two different sets of spurious "strokes."

Attachments

• IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_2007.JPG
    IMG_2007.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_2009.JPG
    IMG_2009.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_2012.JPG
    IMG_2012.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 357

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks, we’re submitting an update to fix this shortly - possibly the weirdest bug we’ve encountered in Pleco’s history, we traced it back to an issue in the latest version of Apple’s LLVM *compiler* (the program that turns source code into a computer program).

Essentially, one of the many things compilers do to make programs run faster is to rearrange the order of operations to maximize their use of processor resources (have as many parts of the processor chugging away at once) - this is done very conservatively / carefully, though, and never unless the compiler is absolutely sure it won't screw things up, but in this particular case the compiler is rearranging some things it shouldn't be.

Looking forward to filing the bug report on this with Apple, actually, as it's rare that one finds bugs at such a low level and the people who deal with them are frankly way better programmers than I'll ever be :)

On iPhone 6, updated to i)S 9 and then to Pleco 3.2.7. After the update, stroke diagrams include extraneous elements. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix? I've shut iPhone off completely and rebooted, and that did not change the behavior. One odd thing: the extraneous strokes are not deterministic. See character jiu4 -- two different sets of spurious "strokes."
Same problem experienced today, even before migrating to iOS 9. The migration did not help.
I use a iPhone 4S and Pleco for many years, this is the first bug I ever encountered. Same on m'y iPad 2.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's a doozy, really wish we hadn't shipped it but it would have been almost impossible to detect beforehand - going to take like a day just to document the specifics of what it is + how to reproduce it for Apple's compiler team :)