Two minor bugs

JD

状元
I want to report two minor bugs that I've run across in the latest Pleco. I'm running iOS 8.0.2 on iPad Air.

1). Funny alien head:
Bring up the history tab. Now, in the dictionary search for the character 龠. Now go to the Chars tab and under components, select the second one, líng, which looks like three kǒu (I can't paste this char in, which may be part of the problem). Now, go to the Chars tab again, and under Components, select 口. Now, the upper-left picture of the "líng" character by the back button displays an "alien head". I have attached an image.

2). Crash when searching for characters within ABC grammar definitions.
Search for a character, such as 带 within Pleco with the ABC dictionary installed. Click on the "V." link for the grammar definition of "Verb" over the verb entries in the ABC. Highlight any Chinese character within the grammar definition. Now press the ">" button on the popup. Pleco crashes and goes back to the iPad home screen. NOTE: the magnifying glass button works just fine, just the > button is broken.

Thanks,
JD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 526

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1) Thanks - not sure if that one can be worked around since it's a tough place to override Apple's system fonts in.

2) Not seeing this one here, oddly enough. The soon-to-be-released 3.2 update adds a built-in crash reporting feature, so if the problem continues into that version then please submit the crash log (and let us know you did so) and we should be able to get more details from that.

JD

状元
Thanks, I'll rerun the reproduction steps on the new version once it's out and let you know. Where will the crash log be saved in the software?

Edit: is the current crash log from within iOS helpful? I see a LatestCrash-Pleco.ips with several pages of content under the Privacy section of the iOS settings.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Got it - thanks. Still trying to puzzle this one out, definitely not showing up here no matter what we try.

JD

状元
Oddly, in 3.2.0, the ">" button now works fine, but he magnifier button no longer works. If I select a Chinese character within an ABC popup and then press the magnifier, it does nothing. However, if I press the ">" and THEN select a Chinese character within the NEXT grammar popup, and then press the "magnifier" on the 2nd level popup (a grammar popup from within a grammar popup), the magnifier works fine.

Edit: when you select the ">" button in the first grammar popup, then next popup displays a dictionary entry, so that is probably why there is a difference in how it's functioning. But in the prior version of Pleco, pressing the "magnifier" button did do something from the grammar entries, and now it does not.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Got it - this one's actually an iOS 8 issue, relates to the way they handle popover views. But can certainly fix for 3.2.1.