Tutorial Features

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Any suggestions for particular usage cases / features we ought to cover in the tutorials now? I'm in the midst of rewriting them (well, the first 3 - flashcards are virtually unchanged aside from a few rearranged menus) and finding a lot of the things in there are either not very useful (how to download add-ons) or no longer supported at all (different handwriting input bar sizes, list mode) - the core dictionary functionality actually only needs about half as much time to introduce as it used to, since there are so many fewer buttons, so I'd like to get into some other common cases too.

So if there's a particular part of Pleco that you never understood very well / don't understand very well in the new version then that's probably a perfect candidate for one of the tutorials.

Last edited:

Bendy-Ren

举人
Maybe a list of all the various "tap-hold" options and other slightly hidden settings that most people wouldn't find on their own?

keffot

The settings, it's still quite difficult to figure out what the different options do. A nice overview video would be great.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Bendy-Ren - good idea!

keffot - I'm a little wary of that because we'd like to get to a place where very few people need to adjust more than a couple of them; that being said, a "hidden gems" video or some such might be useful.

SpikeX

keffot - I'm a little wary of that because we'd like to get to a place where very few people need to adjust more than a couple of them; that being said, a "hidden gems" video or some such might be useful.

Perhaps you could try screenshots of each settings page with annotations explaining what each option does?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not sure about that for something that's basically just a list of text - we really need some sort of inline help in Settings, I think.

alanmd

探花
I'm not sure if every settings page needs it, but there are a few really useful gems buried in the Pleco Settings that many users could benefit from if only they knew about them. A list showing where a few of them are located, with a screenshot showing how the app looks with the setting off and on, or a description if the behaviour is more subtle, would be great I think.

Something like:

Settings->Micellaneous->Sidebar button everywhere

. . . . . . Off . . . . . . . . . . . On . . . . . . (Default is 'Off')

IMG_0742.PNG IMG_0741.PNG

Oh and dictionary groups! There are some things I still haven't quite worked out; ;what does it mean when Full-text search only is switched off for a Full-text search, and what happens when more than one group has the same abbreviation (C is listed twice for the Chinese searches, and E is there twice for English(.

Last edited: