TTS speed

psucom

举人
General comment: I wish the TTS speed could go slower than 50%. Similarly, if audio could be played immediately upon advancing through the characters, then that would allow for a user-defined TTS pace. I didn't see such an option in the settings.

psucom

举人
In a follow up to this comment, allowing the TTS to be paused with the earphone pause button would also be helpful.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Both good notes, thanks! (had to double check whether it's even possible for apps to detect that button, but it seems like it is indeed - actually this could be really cool with a future auto-playing SRS flashcard feature too, press volume up for "correct" and volume down for "incorrect" as you review flashcards during your morning jog)

psucom

举人
Both good notes, thanks! (had to double check whether it's even possible for apps to detect that button, but it seems like it is indeed - actually this could be really cool with a future auto-playing SRS flashcard feature too, press volume up for "correct" and volume down for "incorrect" as you review flashcards during your morning jog)

Regarding the Facebook post on preparing v. 3.0.1, it would be helpful to me if some of these reader modifications, such as automatic pronunciations and slower TTS speeds, could be implemented.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Slower TTS should hopefully be included, though probably only as longer pauses between words (we can't really stretch out the syllables themselves any more). What do you mean by "automatic pronunciation"?

psucom

举人
Slower TTS should hopefully be included, though probably only as longer pauses between words (we can't really stretch out the syllables themselves any more). What do you mean by "automatic pronunciation"?

By automatic pronunciation, I mean the word is automatically spoken with the popup display. Having the words automatically sounded during the advancing would allow user-defined TTS speed. An option to automatically "play" the word when highlighted would be helpful. So when the user hits the side of the iPad, for example, to advance the words, the words are automatically spoken, just like they are with TTS, but with a pace that is defined by the user's taps. I hope this is clearer.

Last edited: