Thoughts on the Acer N50?

mewaters

秀才
PlecoDict has gotten me seriously considering the merits of owning a PDA. It's mostly for the advantage it would give me studying Chinese, but there are lots of other things I like about it like the ability to check email whenever I come across a wireless hotspot.

I've done some research and I've got my heart set on the Acer N50. Unfortunately, I live in the US and it only seems to be available in the UK. I do think I can get my hands on one in the US through a special distributor, but does anyone have any reasons I shouldn't? I realize the potential hassle of shipping it back to the UK in case there are warranty or repair issues, but other than that, is there any reason the product wouldn't work in the US?

Most importantly, of course, would it be compatible with PlectoDict? The screen isn't very hi-res, so I think it should be ok. Any thoughts?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I haven't used one of these, so I can't comment much on its merits as a PDA, but it should have no trouble running PlecoDict - it's pretty much the ideal configuration, with a low-res screen, lots of memory and Windows Mobile 2003 instead of Windows Mobile 5. (not that high-res screens won't work, they just tend to slow things down a lot)

mewaters

秀才
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm on the verge of placing the order, but am a little nervous about the outfit I'd buy it from...

Shadowdh

状元
Hi there, I have an acer n50 premium and its great, in fact I use it every day and combined with Pleco its the best tool ever... I have had a few teething troubles (like dont take the battery out when its on... oops...) but that is completely due to my computer and all things techy illiteracy... in spite of my illiteracy issues I have found it pretty easy to use and so far (touches wood) its not had any break downs in over 6 months... if you have anything else you want to know (bearing in mind I may not understand the question if its too technical :D ) please ask on here or by email shadowdh@yahoo.co.uk...

mewaters

秀才
Hey, that's very good to know. I guess the only question I'd have is about the WiFi capability. Do you use it? Ideally, I'd at least like to be able to use it on a home wireless network and while I'm on campus at my university. I am not really too clear on how these things work either, but I'd like to think that if it has WiFi capability, it can be used on a wireless network without too much trouble. Any thoughts?

Shadowdh

状元
Hi there, I have used it a couple of times on Wifi at uni and it seems to go ok, however I am pretty rubbish at setting it up right and at first couldnt get chinese characters to show, now I managed to work it out so I can see them but cant get english to show... doh...!!! it does work but I have yet to get it going well for me... again this is due to my ineptitude and the fact that I havent taken the time to set it up properly yet... thats next on my list... (damn list seems to grow daily...)