The ability to search for the meaning of Chinese words in the pop-up screen

A great feature would be the ability to click on the Chinese words in the pop-up dictionary, to get the pinyin pronunciation and the English explanation. If there are, let's say, 50 characters of explanation in the pop-up screen (Chinese-Chinese dictionary), then there are usually some words in the pop-up screen that I have yet to learn. If I could press the word, and then get the English explanation, this would, in my opinion, be a great feature. Thank you for offering a great and useful product!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's a little tricky because then we find ourselves in the situation of putting popups on top of popups; what happens if you then want to look up the meaning of a character in that second popup?

Would it help if we made it a bit easier / faster to zoom into a full-screen definition from the popup bubble? (e.g. with a button in the corner of the bubble that zoomed it in instantly with almost no animation lag)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Accuracy on that should be getting a lot better soon - is the problem that it doesn't recognize them as text regions at all, or that it gets the characters wrong?

I am a bit worried about adding one more level, yes - then we introduce the added confusion of some popups allowing tapping and others not. (unless we re-theme the popup UI in some way for that second level, but that would get even stranger)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Understood. Does it help if you resize the recognition area so that it only encompasses that bubble?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're actually working very hard to eliminate links like that in our dictionaries, so that you won't ever need to follow a link (which is decidedly sub-optimal UI) in order to find out what a word means.