System-Wide/Pron System and Flashcards

Hi there,

In Settings/Dictionary/Entry Display/System-Wide/Pron system one can choose Skip, Pinyin w/Tones, Pinyin w/Numbers or Zhuyin. If I choose Skip, when I am in a flashcard session, the examples in the definitions are rendered just in Chinese characters together with its English translations.
This gives me the opportunity of trying to guess at the pinyin. But since the Pron system setting is System Wide, when I tap on a Chinese character or word of the examples, the screen that pops up does not contain any pinyin either, so I cannot check whether my guess was right.
On the other hand, if I choose Pinyin w/Numbers, during a flashcard session I am unable to overlook the pinyin version of the examples, and cannot make any guesses at the pinyin because it is already there, under the Chinese characters.
In a flashcard session, the ideal for me would be to skip the pinyin, but to be able to see it when I tap on a Chinese character or word. Maybe that would be possible if there was a version of the Pleco Dictionary in which the examples of the definitions where given only in Chinese characters with its corresponding translations (but no pinyin). All I should do then would be to select that dictionary when importing flashcards, and to set the Pron system to Pinyin w/Tones.
Sorry for the long message (I hope it takes longer to read than to understand), and thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sobriaebritas said:
In a flashcard session, the ideal for me would be to skip the pinyin, but to be able to see it when I tap on a Chinese character or word. Maybe that would be possible if there was a version of the Pleco Dictionary in which the examples of the definitions where given only in Chinese characters with its corresponding translations (but no pinyin). All I should do then would be to select that dictionary when importing flashcards, and to set the Pron system to Pinyin w/Tones.

This should be supported later in the year once we roll out the results of our semantic tagging efforts - the basic problem now is that there's no way for us to do this that would be reliably supported by all of our dictionaries.