So I bought the HTC Pro...

tefl-dan

Today I bought the HTC Pro. Since I'm a beginner Chinese student I liked the option of drawing characters inside text messages. The phone was in Chinese so the seller said he could change it to English...

I came back later and it was switched to English but now I got the expected empty squares instead of characters. Then the seller installed CE Star to solve that problem....but now there is no option to draw characters.

Since I've never had Pleco before, I'm not sure what will happen if I install it now. Will Pleco allow me to hand draw characters inside messages?

I'm planning on buying Pleco anyways, but I need to know whether I should flash the phone back to Chinese, or leave it in English.

Any advice please?

Shadowdh

状元
I have ce start installed also and I am not sure if its pleco or ce star or even if its one of the two other imes I have (dear input and the dear 10 key input) but I have an option at the bottom of my list of IMEs when typing anything its name is 蒙恬手写 and that enables me to write on the screen and it then recognises and inputs Hanzi...

Shadowdh

状元
Ok I cant upload the .rar file here so if you would like them I can email them to you... they are freeware, I cant remember if I got the link from Pleco or from www.chinese-forums.com sorry... I tried looking through my bookmarks but I have had to reformat and reinstall everything a little while back as I had problems with my laptop... I will try to track them down further and then post them... and just looking I might not even be able to get an email address for you from your profile... please dont post it here just in case. I will track them down...

Shadowdh

状元
Ok didnt take as long as I had feared... here is the link for the Full IME version for winmo 2003 (I have been using 2003 with no probs) http://www.d-ear.com/English/default.as ... sid=1&id=6 and the 10 key version is on the side and the link for the whole kit and kaboodle (sp) is http://www.d-ear.com/English/download.asp?page=1... I hope this helps...

Edit - I tried to get the wm5 one working but it doesnt install from the laptop and as yet I dont have a lot of time to play around with it... will try again later...

tefl-dan

Shadow, thanks sooooooo much for your time. I looked at the description of both of them, however, they say nothing about handwriting...as far as I can tell.

It really irks me that the HTC software doesn't support character handwriting with their English version, and we have to flounder around trying to find 3rd party software to bridge the gap. When I played with my phone while still in Chinese form, I loved the handwriting recognition. It was beautiful and responsive....

After looking at CE Star's site, it appears the standard CE Star doesn't include handwriting:

FAQ A: What's difference of Suite and Standard version?
Q: The Suite version contains Chinese handwriting recognition. Standard version does not contain it.

Do you buy the standard or suite version?

ipsi

状元
Yeah, you'll need CE- Star Suite to write Chinese - I don't imagine you'll find many (if any) good Freeware ones. Writing Handwriting Recognition software is going to be hard enough for English, with a fairly limited set of characters (well under 100) - for Chinese, with it's thousands of characters... well, not a fun scenario.

Pleco's HWR only works inside Pleco itself - other programs like CE-Star that you've got installed shouldn't interfere with Pleco at all.

I'm not sure why stuff like Chinese support isn't included as standard in Windows Mobile, though ROM space or licensing issues are possible explanations.

I don't have CE-Star Suite myself (just Standard), so I'm not sure how well the HWR works, or how it impacts system stability, though my device is generally stable, and I can't see any problems that I would attribute to CE-Star.

Shadowdh

状元
Hi mate... no problems... ok I have CE Star suite installed... and the Handwriting works really well... I thought it was a huge bonus and was really happy when I found out I had it...

tefl-dan

Pleco and CE Star are pretty much essential...but I wonder why they don't compete with each other. I would think Pleco could also bundle some form of handwriting software.

I just spent around $200 just on software..almost as much as the phone. You would think phone makers would want to get in on this action too.