Sentence-based Flashcard ish

ZKD

举人
I have been using a sentence based flashcard approach to Chinese reading/review/etc (i'm an ajatt approach enthusiast). Although I love that Pleco dictionaries offer so many sample sentences, the drawbacks of the system are starting to win over. Hoping someone can offer some advice. I've been a fan for too long to give up on it now!

For Sentence-based flashcard entry, the system is just a bit too clumsy. I would much prefer to be able to make a flashcard list on my computer (full keyboard! nimble navigation via cursosr!) than the cut/paste dance I've been doing for quite some time. For example, I have a host of ChinesePod scripts that I would love to turn into flashcard lists. Doing it on my phone is far too time-consuming, and ends up making it so I do not effectively review what I have already studied.

Is there a system I don't know of? Or a strategy someone else uses for sentence-based flashcard creation?

PLEASE HELP!!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can certainly import a list from your computer; just arrange it into three tab-separated columns, like this:

characters<tab>pinyin<tab>definition

one item per line, and then use the "Import" command in Pleco to import that file into your Pleco flashcard database.

And, just in case you don't know - to save you the trouble of manually inserting tabs - I always put all my data into a spreadsheet, and then export it to a text file. When you export it to a text file, it will put a tab between each column... I think I've done this with both Microsoft Excel and Google Drive/docs and it works with both of them...

A

abdrifter

I have been using a sentence based flashcard approach to Chinese reading/review/etc (i'm an ajatt approach enthusiast). Although I love that Pleco dictionaries offer so many sample sentences, the drawbacks of the system are starting to win over. Hoping someone can offer some advice. I've been a fan for too long to give up on it now!

For Sentence-based flashcard entry, the system is just a bit too clumsy. I would much prefer to be able to make a flashcard list on my computer (full keyboard! nimble navigation via cursosr!) than the cut/paste dance I've been doing for quite some time. For example, I have a host of ChinesePod scripts that I would love to turn into flashcard lists. Doing it on my phone is far too time-consuming, and ends up making it so I do not effectively review what I have already studied.

Is there a system I don't know of? Or a strategy someone else uses for sentence-based flashcard creation?

PLEASE HELP!!!
ZKD, any hope you could share your (ChinesePod) sentence deck, or is there a copyright issue?

radioman

状元
My two cents - sentence/phrase study is the way to go.

With regard to Pleco support, I am looking for guidance. I realize that what I am writing about might be off the beaten path of Pleco's intended application. However, as Pleco stands now, the application is very useful, but I would like to optimize the settings.

Specifically, referencing the figure below.

Figure 1, Row 1 - First row displays the sample sentence. The Hanzi has been copied to the pasteboard.
Figure 1, Row 2 - The second row is successive screenshots of the resulting displays from Pleco, as automatically read in by Pleco.

My subjective good/bad comments are as follows:

The Good:
  • I really like the fact that the words, when brought in, are broken up line by line. So I can quickly scroll the the words existing in the sentence, see the meaning, and then bail out of Pleco. I use this all the time.
  • There is no need to press on a word unless I really wanna dig into it. I get the first two lines of definition that is typically enough for many cases.
  • All the power of Pleco is there as needed to drill down.

Before I present the bad, it should be said that the picture provides a very nice example of a Pleco readout, where it is not cluttered, with 你 and 他 (for example) is not being listed a bunch of times from different dictionaries, although there is some superfluous definitions at the very end. This leads me to believe there is a setting that I have either set or unset such that now I get multiple definitions for the same word listed consecutively. With that said, I will list my current situation as below, with the hope that I can get the settings better arranged to support how I am currently utilizing the pasteboard reader.

The Bad:
  • Hanzi characters like 的 wind up with multiple meanings (e.g., 20 different definitions are provided). They can be quickly scrolled through but I really do not need to see any of them as I know the definition already. Scrolling through is still easier than poking at a Reader Screen.
  • Many of the less common words could have multiple meanings presented (e.g., one definition from each dictionary multiplied by a number of dictionaries).
  • If I scroll to the end of the word list in Pleco, it has a lot of additional words where the last word in the list is part of that word (or maybe there are other things going on there). The example shows a bit of that. I only want exact matches presented.
  • Right now, the Reader pasteboard trigger is limited to 15 or 16. But I only utilize the Reader for larger readings (e.g., articles). Anything below can be served just fine by the dictionary pasteboard lookup like the one presented below. Feeding study sentences to Pleco creates a problem as the sentences might take up as much as 30 Hanzi.
What I was hoping was to find out what Pleco settings might better optimize the experience. For instance:
  • Is there a way simply get dictionary results from one dictionary (e.g., ABC) without turning all of the dictionaries off. (maybe dictionary group utilization). Or, have Pleco simply display the first two matches to the words, be they in one dictionary or across more than one? Some words have more than one meaning, I get that. But after two presented definitions, if it still does not look obvious, then I can choose to press on the words and get the full definitions. Bottom line is that I want a good chance of getting to the meanings of the words that have been fed via the pasteboard, but I do not need the kitchen sink. I can always drill down in Pleco if I am not satisfied with the presented definition.
  • Is there a way to stop Pleco from looking up words like 的 in and of itself (but not cases where it is part of another word or phrase) so that they are simply not displayed (or only displayed once)?
  • Would it be possible to give the user more ranged on how many characters will trip the reader mode, say to additional levels of 32, 48, 64? Or perhaps have it so that the user can enter an integer?
  • Is it possible to only get exact matches presented? I thought I ran across some setting in Pleco that might do this awhile back, but I unfortunately now cannot find it.

Pleco%20Sentence%20Example.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Is there a way simply get dictionary results from one dictionary (e.g., ABC) without turning all of the dictionaries off.

No, but something like that - flag that says "don't show any results from this dictionary that aren't also in a dictionary for which this flag isn't set" - has been on our to-do list for a while (as a Manage Dictionaries option, probably).

Is there a way to stop Pleco from looking up words like 的 in and of itself (but not cases where it is part of another word or phrase) so that they are simply not displayed (or only displayed once)?

Not at the moment - haven't had many requests for that. Personally I feel rather strongly that the reader is a better way to go for this sort of thing, for the same reasons that I'm against simply tap-advancing one's way through a document once you are in the reader - better to have to actively recall the words you know than to have it tell you everything.

We have, however, been considering adding some sort of option to hide words already in flashcards - this is mainly intended for the reader, though, not for breakdowns, but since people are using breakdowns for this in spite of my strong desire for them not to, we'd probably support it in those too. (my original intent with the breakdown feature was actually not reading sentences at all - the idea was to give some sort of useful result when entering a search for which we don't have any exact match, by breaking it down into its individual characters or perhaps one or two embedded words)

Would it be possible to give the user more ranged on how many characters will trip the reader mode, say to additional levels of 32, 48, 64? Or perhaps have it so that the user can enter an integer?

Makes sense to add one or two more options there now that we've expanded the supported length of breakdowns, yes.

Is it possible to only get exact matches presented? I thought I ran across some setting in Pleco that might do this awhile back, but I unfortunately now cannot find it.

Add a space at the end and it won't show anything that goes past the end.

Last edited:

radioman

状元
Well, I solved the problem - at least for me, at least for now.

For any given sample sentence, I created a custom dictionary and write the flashcard to it. Then when I first bring up the Dictionary listing (as shown in the diagram), I then can select the suitable word I want to use and save it as a flashcard). So I go through all the sample sentences (for twenty five, only took a few minutes), and I then have an exact match. I see how the dictionary groups are used now as well, and so have these curated lists within a special group. So as long as the word shows up in the group, it presents exactly as I wanted - clean and without all the other definition variations thrown in.

I wonder if there is a way to write a definition directly to a custom dictionary, rather than first having to go to a flashcard...

As for the ability to cascade through word by word through the reader, that has nothing to do with having it tell me everything. I am only seeking out the words for which I do not know. Cascading is just the most efficient way to do that. This is also why anchoring the definition screen to the bottom makes sense as it puts the definitions out of the way.

The same argument could be brought to bear with regard to Pinyin. I gravitate to Pinyin because its easy. But turning off Pinyin would force me to stare at the Hanzi. Having a way to quickly turn Pinyin off and on I believe would be useful.

Last edited:
We have, however, been considering adding some sort of option to hide words already in flashcards - this is mainly intended for the reader, though, not for breakdowns, but since people are using breakdowns for this in spite of my strong desire for them not to, we'd probably support it in those too. (my original intent with the breakdown feature was actually not reading sentences at all - the idea was to give some sort of useful result when entering a search for which we don't have any exact match, by breaking it down into its individual characters or perhaps one or two embedded words).

Sorry Mike, but I don´t quite understand what people are using breakdowns for. For sentences?