Reading Chinese Documents on a non-Chinese Palm

Luo Yang

举人
I have an older PDA (Sony PEG-SJ20/U) and am looking for ways to simply read a Chinese document on the palm. Documents-to-Go loses the Chinese as does my recent attemp at PDF. Does anyone know of a way to read a Chinese document on a Palm? A free method is obviously prefered, but I would be willing to purchase software to be able to do so.

Thank you,
Luo Yang

Luo Yang

举人
CJKOS doesn't help

After reading other threads I have tried installing CJKOS. While this is a fun discovery for the Palm, it still doesn't address my main need to read a document. All Chinese documents in Documents-to-Go and Adobe Reader are still unreadable.

Any suggestions for how to read a Chinese document on the Palm?

Thank you again,
Luo Yang

caesartg

榜眼
When I was using the older Palms, I used the free version of TiBR (google it - I know there's now a TiBR Pro for about five pounds but you might still be able to find the freeware version). This application not only displays CJKOS text but also has a little button that you can press to allow you to select characters and hence look them up using the PlecoDict DA tool. I must have gone through about 30 readers first with only a handful being compatible (JDoc was another but TiBR seemed superior).

Later, I bought a Lifedrive and TX and the versions of DTG shipped on them worked with CJKOS so I just shifted to that.

ipsi

状元
Are you saving your documents in the correct encoding? CJKOS doesn't like UTF-8 or what have you, it expects to see GB2312 for simplified, and something else for traditional. While I haven't tried documents to go, I suspect that it would work if you saved it in the right encoding.

caesartg

榜眼
Sorry, but just to preempt Luo Yang, I'm fairly sure that Docs 2 Go was unable to display Chinese using CJKOS until version 7. http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?DocID=2430 . I remember being frustrated about the lack of support until I got a TX with a version that supported Chinese. Even if that old Sony is capable of running version 7, I'd still recommend trying some freeware doc readers (E.g. TiBR, J-Doc) and as ipsi points out, making sure you're using BIG5 and GB text encodings for traditional and simplified character display respectively.

choisum

秀才
You definitely need a Chinese OS, like CJKOS, CHOS or PalmDragon (there is no freeware alternative afaik).

In addition:

You can use the free Weasel Reader this selects Chinese text properly for dictionary lookup. You can use the free CF2DOC to convert .txt files on your SD card into the PalmDoc format.

txtMemo also works and is now free. txtMemo can open up .txt files directly off the SD card.

iSilox and Plucker work but (iirc) it isn't easy to look words up in a dictionary. However they work with web pages and most documents can be converted into html.

Luo Yang

举人
Thank you for all the input. I now have CJKOS installed (still on trial) and am trying the various readers you mentioned as well as one that I found before you wrote. It is nice to know that this will be possible.

Thank you again,
Luo Yang

Both DocumentsToGo and Adobe Reader suck for reading PDF on Palm (with chinese characters).

The alternative is to use PalmPDF which is free. If the PDF file is too big, it should be better to use UDMH for getting extra memory (10$). The PDF file should be version 1.5 or less. If it is version 1.6 or above, PalmPDF becomes unstable. The work around to lower the version of a PDF is to make a new file using Acrobat or CutePDF. On linux cups-pdf does the trick (I use linux so i am not sure for windows). It is also possible to separate a PDF on chapters for a quicker loading and easier reading.