Pleco Reader and TTS add on

marchey

I can not get the TTS add on to work in the reader. Am I supposed to select text first? How do I do this? When I touch the screen only the word or character under my finger gets selected. Pressing for a longer time to bring up the Android clipboard with the selection markers, just doesn't seem to work in the PLeco Reader. Am I missing something?

Marc

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
marchey said:
I can not get the TTS add on to work in the reader. Am I supposed to select text first? How do I do this? When I touch the screen only the word or character under my finger gets selected. Pressing for a longer time to bring up the Android clipboard with the selection markers, just doesn't seem to work in the PLeco Reader. Am I missing something?

Tap-hold on the |-> button to select the entire sentence. (bit awkward, I know - we're working on adding standard Android-style selection handles too)

Jiāmíng

I'd like to use TTS preferentially over recorded syllables. The prononciation is a bit worse but the pacing and tone rules are much better. Could you add an option for this? Not everyone prefers the recordings.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
"If no recording" = if there's no dedicated multi-syllable recording for that word. Delete the extended audio databases if you don't want there to be any of those.

Taichi

榜眼
Does the tts speed for the system tts can be faster than 150%? I think the quality of system tts is surprisingly good these days. I found a minor bug for the system tts.
- With the paginate text option on, when tts moves to the next page, pleco tts starts playing instead of system tts.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, to be honest nobody's ever asked for us to make it faster before, only slower - how fast would you like it?

Taichi

榜眼
With the 150% speed setting, google tts plays about 5% slower than pleco tts.
As far as I tried with another app, I think max speed of the google tts can be 20% faster than current max speed (i.e. 150*1.2=180%). With that speed it's still smooth and acceptable Chinese. ( a bit challenging though)