Pleco for Mac Update?

I love this product and have been using it since I first began my Chinese learning journey years ago. Every once in a while, I have come back to these forums to see if there is an update on the mac version of Pleco. I would love to know if I've missed something, or if this is still being planned!

Best!

basil

will this be something where I can update my flashcards on the mac and they'll update on my phone?

Shun

状元
Regarding Wenlin, one thing I like about it very much is the ability to look up different definitions all at once and "stack" them for a simultaneous view. Might the future Mac version include tabs for definitions of different words, or perhaps even stacked definitions? For example, currently in Pleco it isn't easy to see the definitions for 狱丁 and 监狱 on the screen at the same time, like here:

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 16.50.31.png

Multiple definitions in different columns might work, too.

Thanks! If the Mac version features are still under wraps, I would understand.

Regards,

Shun

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I have nothing against Wenlin's UI, but I think this would be a bit of an awkward fit for Pleco because our app is built around a search box rather than a text window; it seems like it would be more natural to just enter both words in the search box like this:

But a tab option for the definition screen is certainly possible - indeed it kind of makes sense since the space for them is awkwardly wide otherwise; probably not in the initial Mac app though since I expect people would rather have a less Mac-optimized version of that out sooner.
Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 8.47.31 AM.jpeg

Shun

状元
That sounds wonderful, thanks! It would just be great to have a way to see multiple full definitions at once. So I'm sure you mean a column (or windowed) layout for a future Mac version (after the first Mac release).

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No - given that beta feedback on 4.0 iOS seems to have petered out, our plan is to use the Mac version as an opportunity to get a second big round of testing once we've finished our backlog of changes and are almost ready to release the finished version of 4.0 on iOS, but we don't know when that will be.