Pleco for Android 3.2.10

HW60

状元
No, it is still 4.4.2 since September 15th 2014. I am not sure that the font size changed, but it appeared very small on some screens now. Maybe I only need a setting for GUI font size ...

ckatt

状元
The top corner back button in OCR is still not working for me. I think its worse now than in 3.2.9.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Probably relates to that setting - we'll see if we can reproduce it using that. If you can live with 'dictionary, then exit' in the meantime you should hopefully have fewer problems using that.

ckatt

状元
Thans, actually it turns out I like dictionary and exit better. Also it may have something to do with using the little camera button on the input selection bar. If I swtitch apps then come back to pleco I can't use the back button. But if I used the menu on the left to enter OCR its not a problem.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
So it works correctly if you change that option? (sorry, wasn't entirely clear from your post)

ckatt

状元
Well no, but when I change the back button behavior I don't get a back button in the top left(I get a menu button instead) if I use the menu to get to OCR. But I do get the back button if I use the camera button, an the back button does not work either way.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... could I double check on your current device + Android version? (only reference to hardware I can find in your recent posts is your Asus TF101 tablet - is this on that or on something else?)

Yiliya

榜眼
A really minor thing, but anyway...

When you install Pleco and run it for the first time that small dialog window showing progress installing packages is still holo. And yes, this happens even on Lollipop.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd, it actually seems to be correctly Lollipop themed for me - could you possibly post a screenshot?

Does anyone else also have the following issue:

A file freshly created by Pleco does not show up in MTP view. Unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back doesn't make it appear but rebooting the device will. To reproduce: on the device tap Menu, Settings, Backup Settings and/or History, Backup Settings Only, choose /storage/emulated/0 and leave the default filename, settings-*.xml. Plug in the device through USB, open Windows Explorer, click device name under Devices and drives, click Internal storage. The newly-generated file is not visible.

The file is accessible through ADB shell and from other Android apps. If I make a copy of it with a file manager app, that copy is visible immediately. If I rename the original file, it becomes visible too. It then stays visible when renamed back to the original name.

I find it hard to believe this could be an issue with Pleco and not something else but it happens for me with Pleco on two completely different devices, and does not happen with a file created with another app (I tried Sound Recorder). There is nothing unusual about the file permissions (original file):

Device 1:
Code:
% adb shell getprop ro.build.fingerprint
google/occam/mako:5.0.1/LRX22C/1602158:user/release-keys

% adb shell ls -la /sdcard/settings*
-rw-rw---- root     sdcard_r    12969 2015-06-01 00:34 settingsbackup-1433111666.xml

Device 2:
Code:
% adb shell getprop ro.build.fingerprint
Xiaomi/dior/dior:4.4.4/KTU84P/5.3.27:user/release-keys

% adb shell ls -la /sdcard/settings*
-rw-rw---- root     sdcard_r     9959 2015-06-01 00:40 settingsbackup-1433112037.xml

The only other common point is the MTP client side (Windows 8.1 Update 1, can't test it with another OS at the moment) but an OS reboot does not resolve it either.

This might very well be unrelated to Pleco. Windows's MTP implementation is beyond redemption but as I'm out of ideas for the moment, I'd appreciate if anyone could confirm if they have this issue too.

alex_hk90

状元
The only other common point is the MTP client side (Windows 8.1 Update 1, can't test it with another OS at the moment) but an OS reboot does not resolve it either.

This might very well be unrelated to Pleco. Windows's MTP implementation is beyond redemption but as I'm out of ideas for the moment, I'd appreciate if anyone could confirm if they have this issue too.

Have you checked if the file appears using standard USB mass storage mode (rather than MTP, which I've always found a bit flaky)?
I'll have a look if it happens for me this evening - I need to fire up my old dual-boot Windows machine.

OK, so Pleco is innocent. :) This appears to be caused by a bug in Android, unfixed since 2012:
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=38282

Files written using the Java API suffer from this problem. Files written with the C API show up immediately. The user-side solution is to trigger a media rescan. A workaround that can be implemented in an app is to feed the newly-created file to the media scanner using the ACTION_MEDIA_SCANNER_SCAN_FILE intent. Implementation example here: http://stackoverflow.com/a/25099099

(Since 4.4 this needs to be done on a per-file basis, as too many apps worked around the bug by triggering a full media rescan and the intent to do that is now restricted to system apps.)

Have you checked if the file appears using standard USB mass storage mode (rather than MTP, which I've always found a bit flaky)?
I'll have a look if it happens for me this evening - I need to fire up my old dual-boot Windows machine.
Thanks! This would fix this problem as well, it seems, but officially there is no UMS on these devices anymore, only MTP or PTP (well, I guess I could enable it manually with setprop sys.usb.config ... but I'd expect it to have fun side effects).

alex_hk90

状元
Thanks! This would fix this problem as well, it seems, but officially there is no UMS on these devices anymore, only MTP or PTP (well, I guess I could enable it manually with setprop sys.usb.config ... but I'd expect it to have fun side effects).
I can confirm I get the same issue with not being able to see the file via MTP in Windows 7 (64 bit).
Interestingly, if I change it to MSC (mass storage) then back to MTP then I can see the file - I guess this does a full rescan of the files at some point, maybe when mounting/unmounting the external SD card (it only shows me the external SD card in MSC, not the internal storage).

I guess this does a full rescan of the files at some point [...]
To sum up, these are the three most straightforward ways I know of to solve this problem from the user side by forcing a media rescan:
  1. Go to SettingsDeveloper optionsDevelopment toolsMedia ProviderScan SD Card. If you don't see Developer options, open SettingsAbout phone first and tap seven (7) times on Build number. Then, on the computer, press F5 in Windows Explorer to refresh the view.
  2. If you would rather use the shell (command-line) you can do the following with ADB:
    adb shell am broadcast -a android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED -d file:///sdcard
    As of Android 4.4 this generally shouldn't be possible according to the documentation; it works for me though, and there's no harm in trying.
  3. Install a Play Store app that uses the per-file workaround I wrote about in the previous post but it recursively feeds all the files to it, one by one. Should work with any Android version.
    (Note: I didn't test it, so use it at your own discretion).
Hope this helps someone with the same issue.

Taichi

榜眼
still ocr -> take picture doesn't work for xperia z3 compact and xperia z3 tablet compact (both 4.4.4).
It takes to Live OCR after taking photo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, that function (the ACTION_IMAGE_CAPTURE intent) is unusually prone to getting screwed up by device manufacturers who try to get cute with their camera apps - Google doesn't enforce any consistency on that particular bit of Android API, they don't even seem to test it when they're validating new devices. (not just us who are frustrated by it - see this rant from well-known Android developer Mark Murphy)

At the moment the only good fix for this would be to do away with the system camera screen and rely on our own for taking still images, but then you'd lose access to a lot of device-specific features and optimizations, so our best suggestion for now is simply that you take your pictures in the camera app separately and then bring them up in Pleco with the image open command instead of 'take a picture.'