Pleco for Android 3.1.6

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Will be released to everybody in a day or two. Beta testers should get it automatically soon, anybody else who wants it early can download it from:

files.pleco.com/androidapps/plecodroid-140716.apk
(link updated, see below)

For information on changes, see:

pleco.com/anmanual/vershist.html

(biggest change is the new flashcard category 'tags' feature)

If you're a regular bug reporter and would like a free copy of our new male text-to-speech module to beta-test, email or PM me.

If you aren't signed up as a GPlay Pleco beta tester but would like to be, here's how:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pleco-android-beta-testing

And then sign up for beta versions of Pleco at:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.pleco.chinesesystem

After which they should appear in your GPlay updates tab in a few hours.

(iOS users who happen to be reading this, we'll be doing a micro beta-test of the iOS 3.1.4 update soon and will be extending the same offer to our regular iOS bug reporters)

Update 7/16: fixed a bug with Pinyin rendering on some Samsung devices plus a couple of other issues mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:

HW60

状元
Can you show a screenshot where the results of tagging are visible? I tagged one category four times, got four different colors to tag (which I accepted), but there was no change tag or remove tag afterwards as discribed in the manual, and I did not see any result of tagging in the dictionary screen for words belonging to the tagged category.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Did you enter a name for the tag? It won't work if you leave it blank. (we should probably add an error message in that case)

HW60

状元
Did you enter a name for the tag? It won't work if you leave it blank. (we should probably add an error message in that case)
No, I did not. When I do, I see the name for the tag in the line of the tagged categoryin the most right column of the Organize Cards screen. The dictionary entries for the flashcards of this category do not change, not even in my user dictionary.

giokve

进士
The headword doesn't change immediately after a new search.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-16-14-17-53.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-16-14-17-53.png
    294.3 KB · Views: 498

Wan

榜眼
When typing fanzao in the search bar, the first two results are 煩躁 and 煩燥. When having the pd dictionary installed, and pd dictionary being the first in your dictionary list to have the 煩燥 entry, then the pd definition will be shown as a preview for the entries of that word. Now, in the preview, the pd definition is completely garbled (lots of As and Bs and Cs with tone marks and stuff). If you actually open the entry, it is clearly readable.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@HW60 - is the word showing up as added to flashcards, with a [+] button icon and, if you tap on that icon and go to Card Info, your tagged category listed among the card's categories?

@giokve - seeing that here too, thanks - fix shortly.

@Wan - not seeing this one, sadly; is it new in this update or is this just the first time you noticed it?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Just updated with fixes for these bugs plus a fix for a font rendering bug on some Samsung devices (could make Pinyin look disjointed).

HW60

状元
@HW60 - is the word showing up as added to flashcards, with a [+] button icon and, if you tap on that icon and go to Card Info, your tagged category listed among the card's categories?
It is showing up as added to flashcards in my user dictionary (with a dotted square), not in GF or CC or ADS. Tapping on the dotted square with the '+' sign has no effect - how do I get to Card Info from a dictionary entry? Tapping on the very small dotted square in the "Dict - Stroke - Chars ..." screen and then on Card info shows, that the card is in the desired and tagged category only.

Tapping on the dictionary entry while in the user dictionary, the tagged name is seen at the right border, in all other dictionaries no tagged name is seen.

All my entries are custom cards, and no entry has traditional characters - maybe that is Pleco's problem?

Edit: No change after the update

Last edited:

Taichi

榜眼
I see dupelicated tags when I set a tag to parent category and multiple subcategories contains the word.

When tapped add tag for a category, doen't it make sense to fill the input box with the category name as default value?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-18-20-47-50.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-18-20-47-50.png
    417.5 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:

santiago

举人
when trying to go back to the reader after seeing the defition of a word from the attached file (by pressing the expanding-like icon or the search-like icon in the reader) pleco crashes: "unfortunately, pleco has stopped"

This does NOT happen with other files so it may be simply a corrupted file. I send it to you just in case you want to have a look at it because:
  • 1- I have this same file in my ipad and it doenst have this problem ( I dont know if my previous android version had this problem)
  • 2- Everything else works fine (TTS, bubble definiton box and the reader itself)
cant whait to see the new TTS (I sent an email volunteering myself for the TTS testing )!!!!!! :)

Attachments

• 2010:太空漫游.txt
    301.4 KB · Views: 541

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Taichi - thanks! Very good catch on the duplicated parent tags, and yes, we should indeed pre-populate that field with the category name.

@santiago - opens correctly here; any chance you might have picked the wrong encoding? (the file appears to be in GB)

Will email you back shortly on TTS (doing them in a batch).

santiago

举人
Changed encodings and still have the same problem. I downloaded the crash report but there is nothing in it. I will play around with more files and see.

Concerning TTS in the reader:

1-When pressing a "non recorded" word the gender is the one set on the "Recorded audio" settings and not in the TTS settings ( bubble auto play on tap ON and "skip if no recording" ON). So for example if recorded voice is set to male and TTS to alternating, you can only actually alternate TTS voices by pressing a "recorded voice" first (otherwhise the first voice will always be a male and since the configuration is alternating you will always hear the female when pressing the TTS button)

2-If TTS audio settings is set to Lulu, Pleco will change the configuration to Alternating (go out of the menu , come back, and is changed). This is kind of weird because I did notice that if I set preferred female in the "recorded voice" settings then lulu and hui will alternate every time I press a "non recorded" word (so I do have the engine for lulu)

3- Quality is a bit lower than the female voice but still great. Example: 实际上 really shounds like shijizhang

hope it helps

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, let me know what you find. Thanks for the TTS bug reports - we've got a good week plus before this launches since we're planning to debut it on iOS and Android simultaneously so there should be plenty of time to fix these for 3.1.7; please let me know if you encounter any other odd behavior with it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, could you expand on that? Do you mean the option to auto-play audio in Test Settings? And do these custom cards include Pinyin?

ckatt

状元
small bug when doing a flash card tones test. If I edit a card during a test, like changing what dictionary entry it uses, i am unable to enter answers for that card. the blue box that normally surrounds the word i am on is gone and tapping the box does not bring it back. my only option is to click the ? to skip to the next card.

NomekSan

举人
I mean the hold-tap option in the organize flashcards section. It works for dictionary linked cards but a user card like a sentence just gives me silence.

And yes, all my cards include pinyin.