Pleco for Android 3.1.3/4/5

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Official now, up on GPlay shortly. Faster startup, updated TTS engine, and we finally launched the non-Pocket Oxford Chinese Dictionary on Android with this update, so you can buy and download that now; if you already had it on iOS then it should show up on Android automatically if it hasn't already.

3.1.4 released with a few bug fixes on 3.1.3, keeping the same thread since it was a very very minor update in general. Likewise for 3.1.5. 3.1.6 probably in another week or so to synchronize current engine version with the upcoming 3.1.4 update on iOS (a rather momentous event, since it means that for the first time since the Palm/WM era, all of our current app versions will in sync as far as their cross-platform engine code).

Last edited:
Start up speed has improved me.

Bugs: During a Full in the blanks test, you are tested for 談, the next card asked for is 談話. Since the previous word is not cleared from the word choices, I click 談 it fills that word in then skips the next word as if the check answer button was clicked. It didn't do this until beta 3.1.2 updated I think. It does that with any card that has two or more words to be tested on.
This one is back, or still here, after you answer, click a word, follow and return the words are missing in the fields at top.

Taichi

榜眼
organize card -> search, dictionary condition doesn't work. If I add "all cards" condition (dictionary=foo and "all cards"), it seemingly works.

NomekSan

举人
A little suggestion:
Since I once proposed that there should be some way to edit the options for flashcards in several profiles at once I came to an idea that goes in that direction.
Maybe it would be a good thing to link the scoring settings to a scorefile. I think it isn't a good idea to work with different scoring settings on the same scorefile so there wouldn't be a real downside.

NomekSan

举人
As I thought about it, there did come some scenarios in my mind where that would be useful. So this might be a bad idea, yes.

I found a bug maybe:
If I create a flashcard and there is a Name in the Headword that does not contain chinese characters, some of the following chinese Characters doesn't get the right color coding. They are colored for the 5th tone. I activated thepinyin coloring optin and the pinyin syllables however do get colored correctly. It seems that it depends on the position of the non-chinese word in the flashcard:

If I type: 我姓 Mayer. Then everything is colored correctly. If I type Mayer 先生,你好。Then the 你好 does not get colored, the pinyin does. The Hui speech is also correctly.
Screenshot_2014-06-26-21-06-00.png

JohnD

Is this only available on newer versions of Android? I don't see any updates available (currently on Pleco 2.4.19). My Android version is 2.3.6.

leynux

举人
hi,

When I expand any word/character from Still image OCR, it only list definition from single dictionary.
But for the same character, when expanded from Reader, it listed all definition from all available dictionary.

Do I miss any Setting ?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, sounds like a bug - we just released 3.1.5 but we'll add this to the queue for 3.1.6. In the meantime, I'd suggest sending your still OCR output to the reader first (book icon) and then pulling up the definition screen from there.

dustpuppy

榜眼
I've been using the Android beta for a while. This release is very well put together. The GUI refresh makes it look very modern and a lot more usable Tham the previous version.

Miguel

状元
Amazing new version! Elegant, fast and most important, I love new features. Have one question: Is there any way, when I look up a word in the dictionary, to know to which of my flashcard categories that word belongs? I know that the squared plus "+" means that I have it in my flashcards, but don't know exactly where (and I have many categories). In previous version you could see a dotted line squared plus symbol when the word was not in the deffault category, which could give me a clue where that word was.
But again, great improvement!!! :)

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
At the moment, you'd need to tap on that [+] and then tap "Card Info" to get a list of categories; we're planning to add the ability to list them right in the definition screen in our 3.2 update, though.

Miguel

状元
Hi again. Think this might be a bug. Changed the back button option to "go back to dictionary". When I am testing flashcards, when I open a bubble menu for any character and hit "back" I go to the dictionary (to the handwriting option, not the main one) and the bubble menu remains in the screen.
Pleco 3.1.4, Android 4.1.2

捞什子

秀才
I think the action resulting from tapping a headword character in the result screen of a multiple choice test may not be working as intended. I had this issue before updating, but I'm not sure how long it's been around because I only switched over to Android a few weeks ago.

Basically, when I tap a headword character in the result screen of a tone or fill-in-the-blanks test, only the character will be selected. In a multiple choice test however, the selection will be expanded to the whole word, or a word within the headword. This isn't as useful because the result screen already shows the definition of the headword.

Up until recently I was using an old version of Pleco on my iTouch. In Settings>Dictionary>Display there was an option called "tap head action" with two options: select character and select word. In my experience this dictionary setting also applied to flash card tests.

I've done some extensive digging in the current Android user manual, but I haven't found a similar option. If there is indeed no longer such an option, I'd like to inquire whether things are working as intended with the multiple choice test. Thanks in advance.