Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Release Candidate Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hopefully not too many of these and we can drop the "candidate" from the name in a day or two.

neilperks

进士
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Release Candidate Bug Report Thr

Hi Mike,

Sure I must have missed the obvious here :? , but can't find any TTS samples under add-on's ? as per your announcement.

Been thinking about buying and thought I'd give them a try.

No big deal, will probably buy anyway.

Cheers

Neil

neilperks

进士

Ok I knew it would be obvious :D, but unless you actually press to buy TTS you will never find the demo to see if you want to buy TTS !!, if that makes sense :lol:

Cheers

Neil

under 角落 for PLC dictionary, pressing the third audio sample "躲在阴暗的...", it's very jerky. Previous two sound good, and the 4th one also sounds ok.

I have it set at 90% and Prefer Lulu for the voice settings. I also have "Sandhi transform" checked.

If I switch voices (I changed to "alternate), then the 4th entry (other voice) sounds really jerky, but 3rd is passable (although not great). Alternate seems to actually work now too. Previous, I seem to recall that it wouldn't really switch voices with each press.

The "Hui" voice is noticeably faster than the Lulu voice for same speed setting.

In reader, if I highlight the single word: 暗红, and press audio, lulu has what sounds like a glottal stop at the end of the first syllable (sort of a soft "k" sound), but Hui voice sounds good.

Playing an entire sentence, they both have small start/stop issues, but in different places. I've pasted sample text before, so won't bother here.

As an aside, is there a reason you limit speed to 100%? I would often play actual recordings at 150% for tingli practice. Sometimes listening to TV weather, news, etc. it seems they talk about that fast anyway!

Searching for headword, again with 角落 (jiao3 luo2 - nook, corner), although I have "C" (combined) dictionary selected, it only shows one dictionary in left column. However, the same entry is present for PLC, CC, ABC, GF, OX.

So, I'm a little confused :shock: I thought it would show same word multiple times in the left pane, with each one tagged with it's own dictionary entry. The only one showing is the PLC dictionary entry, and there's no indication that any other dictionary entries are available, unless I manually click something.

Even a "Show other" with links to other dictionaries, or at least a list of all dictionary names that contain it would be helpful.

LantauMan

进士

Not a bug, but a question, which I suspect many will wonder about. I haven't tried any of the 2.4 betas, wishing to wait for the final release. So here's the question: Since many of the dictionaries have been updated, is it advisable to uninstall all our old dictionaries from pre-2.4 versions before installing the new Pleco update? If not, will there be duplicate dictionary files occupying SD card? I assume that dictionary/bundle licenses we've paid for will simply transfer to the updated dictionaries.

Just wishing for a smooth, hassle-free update. And thanks for all your great work and genuine responsiveness to users.

TTS, flashcards and 落

If I look up the character 落, it shows four entries on left pane: 3 for "PLC" and one for "ABC" (which confuses me because of previous post about not seeing multiple entries!).

a) How do I make four different flashcards to represent same character, but four pronunciations?

b) On top entry (la4) PLC, if I press the audio to hear the first example : 这里拉了连个字, it pronounces it as if it were "luo4". Is this valid? Is this correct? (Seems incorrect based on pinyin in same example).

In fact, all examples play with same "lou4" pronunciation. :(

HW60

状元

In flashcards / export cards / include data = categories, no category information is exported if card selection is all cards. I have to choose card selection = cards in categories and select all cards to get the categories as well.

The new "tap-hold" to delete is very good to prevent nervous touch screens from erasing information I would like to keep!

Searching for headwords consisting of kana only works! So I am still confident that in 2 or 3 years searching for pronunciation consisting of @+kana will be working too ...

Nothing else found after some flashcard sessions - great update!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

neilperks said:
Ok I knew it would be obvious , but unless you actually press to buy TTS you will never find the demo to see if you want to buy TTS !!, if that makes sense

Actually that is a bug - the audio samples are being streamed from a server and you shouldn't need to download the relevant add-ons first. Thanks.

stephanhodges said:
If I switch voices (I changed to "alternate), then the 4th entry (other voice) sounds really jerky, but 3rd is passable (although not great).

It is a little "warbly" at times, yes - we've got a few bugs on file with them in that regard so hopefully it will continue to improve in coming months.

stephanhodges said:
Alternate seems to actually work now too. Previous, I seem to recall that it wouldn't really switch voices with each press.

Glad to hear it!

stephanhodges said:
The "Hui" voice is noticeably faster than the Lulu voice for same speed setting.

Perhaps we should add separate speed configuration options for them in a future update.

stephanhodges said:
As an aside, is there a reason you limit speed to 100%? I would often play actual recordings at 150% for tingli practice. Sometimes listening to TV weather, news, etc. it seems they talk about that fast anyway!

They should go to 150 - are you sure you're adjusting that setting and not the one for audio volume? Just tested it here and it works fine - option appears and audio is suitably sped up.

stephanhodges said:
Searching for headword, again with 角落 (jiao3 luo2 - nook, corner), although I have "C" (combined) dictionary selected, it only shows one dictionary in left column. However, the same entry is present for PLC, CC, ABC, GF, OX.

So, I'm a little confused I thought it would show same word multiple times in the left pane, with each one tagged with it's own dictionary entry. The only one showing is the PLC dictionary entry, and there's no indication that any other dictionary entries are available, unless I manually click something.

That's by design - the idea of this merged search feature is to let you very quickly get to the word that you're interested in, so that you can then cycle through individual dictionaries' take on that word by tapping on the dictionary switch button in the definition view. I suppose we could add an option to group instead of merging (wouldn't be difficult), but for searches with a lot of matches like "ji" we think combining entries makes life much easier. In another couple of releases we'll have all of the dictionaries' results showing in the same scrollable view (we'd do it already if Android's text fields weren't so slow about updating).

LantauMan said:
Not a bug, but a question, which I suspect many will wonder about. I haven't tried any of the 2.4 betas, wishing to wait for the final release. So here's the question: Since many of the dictionaries have been updated, is it advisable to uninstall all our old dictionaries from pre-2.4 versions before installing the new Pleco update? If not, will there be duplicate dictionary files occupying SD card? I assume that dictionary/bundle licenses we've paid for will simply transfer to the updated dictionaries.

No need for that, you can use the "Updates" section in Add-ons to update them - licenses will transfer and old versions will automatically be deleted once their replacements download.

stephanhodges said:
If I look up the character 落, it shows four entries on left pane: 3 for "PLC" and one for "ABC" (which confuses me because of previous post about not seeing multiple entries!).

They're different pronunciations for 落 - we currently keep different pronunciations for the same character separate in search results.

stephanhodges said:
a) How do I make four different flashcards to represent same character, but four pronunciations?

Go to each entry and + it.

stephanhodges said:
b) On top entry (la4) PLC, if I press the audio to hear the first example : 这里拉了连个字, it pronounces it as if it were "luo4". Is this valid? Is this correct? (Seems incorrect based on pinyin in same example).

In fact, all examples play with same "lou4" pronunciation.

Yes, at the moment we're feeding the TTS systems the raw characters and not the accompanying Pinyin so they may occasionally get the pronunciation for a particular multi-pronunciation character wrong - this should be addressed once we've completely finished our dictionary data cleanup / reformat (at which point it'll be easy to extract the Pinyin accompanying examples and feed that to the TTS system).

HW60 said:
Searching for headwords consisting of kana only works! So I am still confident that in 2 or 3 years searching for pronunciation consisting of @+kana will be working too ...

Nothing else found after some flashcard sessions - great update!

Great, thanks!

ckatt

状元

I'm still having a problem with the OCR history, most of the the entries say "missing".
and when sorting flash cards the wrong info is displayed while dragging.
also in the flash cards, in a stroke order test, after viewing the card info some of the text stays on the screen when i return to the test.
other wise so far so good.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
I'm still having a problem with the OCR history, most of the the entries say "missing".
and when sorting flash cards the wrong info is displayed while dragging.
also in the flash cards, in a stroke order test, after viewing the card info some of the text stays on the screen when i return to the test.

Yeah, we thought we'd fixed those but they seem to have reappeared... we also found a design issue with our merge result display system that we need to address (basically it was possible for some character results to be "hidden" so that you'd type in a Pinyin search and not see every possible matching character) so between that and the missing demo audio we're going to do at least one more release candidate. Thanks.

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
we're going to do at least one more release candidate.
In that case I have 2 more or less cosmetical points:

In fill-in-the-blanks, test reading and test writing, the following screen appears, if you either tap on the brush when you should enter pinyin or when the last card of a flashcard series is "test writing" and the first card of the repetition series is "test reading (enter pinyin)".

In the next screen - same test as above - you have two audio buttens (which may be intentional and does not hurt):

Attachments

• 2012-12-21 11.26.24.png
    2012-12-21 11.26.24.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,228
  • 2012-12-21 11.26.06.png
    2012-12-21 11.26.06.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,240

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

HW60 said:

In fill-in-the-blanks, test reading and test writing, the following screen appears, if you either tap on the brush when you should enter pinyin or when the last card of a flashcard series is "test writing" and the first card of the repetition series is "test reading (enter pinyin)".

This one we considered after your earlier feedback but decided to leave in - it seems more confusing to have that button do nothing, honestly. Do you find it bothersome because you frequently tap on that button during handwriting tests, or do you just dislike it design-wise in general?

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
This one we considered after your earlier feedback but decided to leave in - it seems more confusing to have that button do nothing, honestly. Do you find it bothersome because you frequently tap on that button during handwriting tests, or do you just dislike it design-wise in general?
If with the first card of the repetition series a tap becomes necessary to enter pinyin (because Pleco did not change the "HWR mode" of the last card of the flashcard session to "enter pinyin mode" of the first card of the repetition session), I just tap the brush and the problem is solved. Therefore the brush button is needed for "repairing" Plecos behaviour in this particular situation and must not be changed to doing nothing.

When during a session entering pinyin is required, there is no need for me to tap on the brush to enter HWR mode just for fun - I just did it testing Pleco, and there is no need to change Pleco's behaviour in this situation.

I suggest to leave it for now as it is.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

HW60 said:
If with the first card of the repetition series a tap becomes necessary to enter pinyin (because Pleco did not change the "HWR mode" of the last card of the flashcard session to "enter pinyin mode" of the first card of the repetition session), I just tap the brush and the problem is solved. Therefore the brush button is needed for "repairing" Plecos behaviour in this particular situation and must not be changed to doing nothing.

Is that bug still present? We were pretty sure we'd fixed it...

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
Is that bug still present? We were pretty sure we'd fixed it...
Actually I cannot reproduce it. I created a new test category, entered 4 flashcards, used my normal profile (frequency adjust) and gave a wrong answer to the flashcard with "test reading - enter pinyin". The last card of the session was test writing, and the first card of the repetition series was test reading - just the situation I wanted to have for the reproduction of the mini bug. No bug! I can only repeat my suggestion to leave it as it is for the time being. If it should happen again, I will try to remember to send you an alogcat file.

When I entered the test flashcards (from organize cards /new cards), the Android keyboard tried to change the pinyin I entered - I darkly remember that this can be prevented somehow, but I do not know how.

sahal

秀才

Probably not the most correct place because this refers to 2.3.14, but I noticed a possible bug today when trying to download a vocabulary list from http://www.hskflashcards.com/d/hsk_plecodict2.xml. It seems that this kind of file is not properly registered to be opened with pleco, in any case my browser did not give me any chance to download it :(

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

HW60 said:
Actually I cannot reproduce it. I created a new test category, entered 4 flashcards, used my normal profile (frequency adjust) and gave a wrong answer to the flashcard with "test reading - enter pinyin". The last card of the session was test writing, and the first card of the repetition series was test reading - just the situation I wanted to have for the reproduction of the mini bug. No bug! I can only repeat my suggestion to leave it as it is for the time being. If it should happen again, I will try to remember to send you an alogcat file.

When I entered the test flashcards (from organize cards /new cards), the Android keyboard tried to change the pinyin I entered - I darkly remember that this can be prevented somehow, but I do not know how.

OK, we'll leave it as-is for now then. With the Pinyin changing, we actually set a flag telling the system not to make suggestions but some manufacturers' keyboards ignore it (I guess they can't imagine anyone might ever want to type something and not have it auto-corrected) - we have an experimental workaround for that in the main search field that we can try in flashcards too, though.

sahal said:
Probably not the most correct place because this refers to 2.3.14, but I noticed a possible bug today when trying to download a vocabulary list from http://www.hskflashcards.com/d/hsk_plecodict2.xml. It seems that this kind of file is not properly registered to be opened with pleco, in any case my browser did not give me any chance to download it :(

Not supported in 2.4 either at the moment - to be honest we're a little gun-shy about that because we got into some trouble supporting XML file sharing in our iOS app (basically the operating system would end up making Pleco the default handler for a bunch of files it wasn't supposed to handle, annoying lots of customers). Android's file-sharing system isn't quite so awkward, but we haven't yet found the time to do the amount of testing necessary to make sure XML file support won't screw things up too badly on some devices.

So for now I'd recommend getting a download manager or some other utility that will let you download arbitrary file types from links - useful thing to have anyway.

Yiliya

榜眼

A small feature request for the upcoming version.

Most Android installations do have fonts that cover the Ext A characters, would it be possible to at least include an option to use the system fonts for this character range instead of the eye-jarring built-in Pleco 宋体?

In addition to the comment about using native fonts, perhaps someone could start a new thread dedicated solely to font recommendations/downloads, etc.?

I don't know any download links, or I would start it.