Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 5 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 5 Bug Report / Feedback Thr

mfcb said:
mike, from my point of view, beta5 is very stable, the audio over BT got interrupted maybe 3 or 4 times (in total during the last days), one time with HUI/LULU, so i guess its a problem with my headset. will try to get a new one

congratulations on this great piece of software !

Great, thank you!

wibr

进士

When I do my custom flashcards I have some pinyin entries like (with tone marks instead of numbers): wei1, wei4 (wei3)
Lulu goes crazy on those, with Hui it's no problem, although I would prefer the normal recordings in this case...

kiraven

举人

Beta 5 is crashing on Sony PRS-T1 during start up, as Beta 1 did. Beta 4 is running without problems.
Should I send you a log?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

kiraven said:
Beta 5 is crashing on Sony PRS-T1 during start up, as Beta 1 did. Beta 4 is running without problems.
Should I send you a log?

Yes, please do - strange that would happen now since we didn't really change much about the relevant startup / library / etc code in Beta 5.

The wildcard button is not working for me. I also tried to switch to other characters, no improvement, I always get this:

2012-12-06_19-22-37.jpg

Bye, Michael.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

burdenofhope said:
The wildcard button is not working for me. I also tried to switch to other characters, no improvement, I always get this:

Thanks (forgot we even had that option) - glitch related to our switch to always allowing ? and * for wildcard inputs. (@ and $ will still work as well, or whatever other options you've configured - at least for a while - but since they were originally chosen for compatibility with certain Palm OS input methods we decided it was high time we dropped them in favor of some more standard wildcard symbols)

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:
I don't know if this is related to pleco or android but when i tap the share icon in OCR my word processor, polaris office, is not on the list.

That's odd... is it supported by other share commands? Can you give me some examples of apps that it works well with?
Seems i never tried it with anything else because it looks like it doesn't show up anywhere. i guess its their problem not plecos.

ckatt said:
and on they same topic is there a way to move the position of pleco on the share list for other apps? i often have to translate a text message or email i get. it works fine but when i tap the share icon in the messaging app only some apps are shown and i must tap "more..." too see the bigger list. since pleco is the place i sent text most often is there a way to get it to show up in the sort list?
Not quite sure about that, actually, I think to some extent it's manufacturer- and OS-version-dependent... is there any logic to the order the apps appear in now? (alphabetical order, say)
doesn't seems to be. the default is 4 apps in this order:
Drop box
AK Notepad
the first two came with the phone the other two i installed. tapping more brings up 12 more aps and those 12 are listed alphabetically, so i need to scroll down a bit to find pleco.
ckatt said:
personally i would like to see a basic edit ability in the reader, mainly because some times if i send a whole paragraph to the reader i later notice that one or two characters were recognized wrong and i then need to send it over to polairs to fix. If i could send straight there from the OCR it would help, but then i cant tap on characters to see there meaning ect. also Polaris and many other WP's i have tried don't allow saving a new file as a .txt. i can open them and edit and save, but if i start from a new file i can only save as .doc, so pleco reader would be unable to open it. is there any chance pleco will support .doc or maybe even .rtf in the future?

We keep getting requests for it, so I suppose it's something to consider for a future release, but in general we don't really feel like we have enough to add to that to justify developing an editor function as opposed to simply letting people save files text and edit them with some other dedicated word processor app. You can correct single OCR characters from within the OCR screen by tap-holding on them, though.

I have tried correcting single characters in OCR before but it almost never get the characters i need in the list. For example the other day the character 手 was miss scanned as 毛 tapping gave me long list wich included 邑 无 E and some other more complicated characters but not the proper character for shou, 手.
this what just scaning one sentance so i spoted it right away. but ofter with a whole paragraph i don't see it until its already in the reader

ckatt said:
is there any chance pleco will support .doc or maybe even .rtf in the future?

.rtf might be possible if there's a ton of demand for it, .doc would be so tricky that it's not really something we're likely to consider.

RTF would be nice if it would allow for more choice in the formating. it would be nice if we could then specify different text sizes for different documents and used bold and italics ect.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
doesn't seems to be. the default is 4 apps in this order:
Drop box
AK Notepad
the first two came with the phone the other two i installed. tapping more brings up 12 more aps and those 12 are listed alphabetically, so i need to scroll down a bit to find pleco.

Probably just sorting a few built-in apps on top followed by everything else in alphabetical order - there might be a hack (at least on a rooted phone) that can reorder them for you, but I don't imagine there's a built-in way to do it.

ckatt said:
I have tried correcting single characters in OCR before but it almost never get the characters i need in the list. For example the other day the character 手 was miss scanned as 毛 tapping gave me long list wich included 邑 无 E and some other more complicated characters but not the proper character for shou, 手.
this what just scaning one sentance so i spoted it right away. but ofter with a whole paragraph i don't see it until its already in the reader

Ah, forgot that we don't yet let you replace it with an arbitrary character using handwriting (as we do on iOS) - I'll add a note about that for the next Android update.

ckatt said:
RTF would be nice if it would allow for more choice in the formating. it would be nice if we could then specify different text sizes for different documents and used bold and italics ect.

Well for that I'd rather just use EPUB, since it's a much more modern / powerful standard and would bring support for a lot more data than RTF would. So another port from iOS (we don't support EPUB officially yet on iOS either, but we will be doing so shortly, and since EPUBs are basically just .zip files full of web pages the core of the thing is our currently iOS-only live on-page tap-lookup system).

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
Well for that I'd rather just use EPUB, since it's a much more modern / powerful standard and would bring support for a lot more data than RTF would. So another port from iOS (we don't support EPUB officially yet on iOS either, but we will be doing so shortly, and since EPUBs are basically just .zip files full of web pages the core of the thing is our currently iOS-only live on-page tap-lookup system).
EPUB sounds great, as does the live on-page tap-lookup system. I'd love to see these features on Android. I think i recall you once saying something about google offering something similar on android but i never could figure out where or what it was.

dustpuppy

榜眼

I can't seem to be able to launch into the flashcard module immediately. I sometimes study flashcards and go into another app, then I want to come back to flashcards, but it takes me back to a word I looked up in the dictionary before. I've got "flashcard" and "reader" shortcuts but they both seem to have this problem. Is there a solution ?

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

dustpuppy said:
I can't seem to be able to launch into the flashcard module immediately. I sometimes study flashcards and go into another app, then I want to come back to flashcards, but it takes me back to a word I looked up in the dictionary before. I've got "flashcard" and "reader" shortcuts but they both seem to have this problem. Is there a solution ?

Delete and then re-generate those shortcuts - that should get them to take you back to flashcards. You can also go back using the Android task switcher - on Android 3/4 it's next to the home button (so the three main buttons go back / home / task switcher), on earlier versions you usually get to it by pressing-and-holding the device's physical home button.

dustpuppy

榜眼

I can't seem to be able to delete the shortcuts ? I try to drag them to the trash can, and when I go back to my app launcher, they're still there. I'm using a stock galaxy s3, international version, (GT-I9300 Android 4.0.4).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

dustpuppy said:
I can't seem to be able to delete the shortcuts ? I try to drag them to the trash can, and when I go back to my app launcher, they're still there. I'm using a stock galaxy s3, international version, (GT-I9300 Android 4.0.4).

Well that's odd... are these the shortcuts that were generated by the app, or are they the old shortcut apps that you downloaded from our website / from Google Play? If the latter, you'd probably have to go into Settings / Apps to delete them.

dustpuppy

榜眼

Ah I see. I downloaded these shortcuts from the play store, they were both at version 1.0. Deleting them and re-creating them works. BUT, I now have a problem, these newly created shortcuts are not available using SwipePad (best multitask launcher). Would you be able to take a look ? I'm assuming you already know why this is. The launcher is free (it's not a launcher actually, it's an add-on app that makes task switching extremely efficient. So perfect to quickly snap a picture and go into OCR still mode).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en
Thanks.

mfcb

状元

dustpuppy said:
Ah I see. I downloaded these shortcuts from the play store, they were both at version 1.0. Deleting them and re-creating them works. BUT, I now have a problem, these newly created shortcuts are not available using SwipePad (best multitask launcher). Would you be able to take a look ? I'm assuming you already know why this is. The launcher is free (it's not a launcher actually, it's an add-on app that makes task switching extremely efficient. So perfect to quickly snap a picture and go into OCR still mode).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en
Thanks.
take a look at my solution for swipepad, viewtopic.php?p=27890#p27890

gabor

探花

mikelove said:
We keep getting requests for it, so I suppose it's something to consider for a future release, but in general we don't really feel like we have enough to add to that to justify developing an editor function as opposed to simply letting people save files text and edit them with some other dedicated word processor app. You can correct single OCR characters from within the OCR screen by tap-holding on them, though.
Translators often use dictionaries, which you can find in Pleco. What do translators also need to do a lot? Typing! Ideally seeing the original text, the dictionaries and the translated text at the same time. In the Reader we already have two of these, if editing could be enabled without jumping to the beginning of the file (like on the iPad), it would be good enough already. I currently have to rely on another computer or pen and paper when translating with Pleco.

ckatt

状元

two things i found today
in the history for the OCR all of the lines say missing entry
and when reordering words in a flash card category the wrong word is displayed while dragging it.
cheers

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

gabor said:
Translators often use dictionaries, which you can find in Pleco. What do translators also need to do a lot? Typing! Ideally seeing the original text, the dictionaries and the translated text at the same time. In the Reader we already have two of these, if editing could be enabled without jumping to the beginning of the file (like on the iPad), it would be good enough already. I currently have to rely on another computer or pen and paper when translating with Pleco.

We've had a number of requests for that, but it's hard to expand into a totally new function like that until we've put some more time into adding much-needed features to our existing functions (EPUB / PDF reading support, e.g.) - could happen in a year or two, though.

jiacheng

榜眼

Hope this hasn't been discussed before, but I figured I'd mention it.

It is far too easy to remove a card from a category by accident when viewing the category list for an individual card. There have been several occasions where I tapped and removed a card from a category by accident. It would seem safer if you were required to swipe or an edit button to prevent this from happening.

ckatt

状元

I've had repeated crashes when trying to select text in a document in the reader. its just a short document only two lines. if i select the first line it okay but if i select the second or both at once it crahses

Attachments

• alogcat.2012-12-18-23-47-29+0800.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 738