Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 4 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Lots of changes this time, with an eye towards (finally!) trying to get this feeling as smooth / polished as our iOS version.

dustpuppy

榜眼
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 4 Bug Report / Feedback Thr

I love the new UI, not sure when this came out but this is the first time I've tried one the betas. I spend a lot of time in front of Pleco, so I appreciate an aesthetic UI.

dustpuppy

榜眼

Please implement cloud sync. I don't mind paying for it as a paid extension.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

dustpuppy said:
I love the new UI, not sure when this came out but this is the first time I've tried one the betas. I spend a lot of time in front of Pleco, so I appreciate an aesthetic UI.

Thanks! Been out for a few betas now.

dustpuppy said:
Please implement cloud sync. I don't mind paying for it as a paid extension.

We're waiting on Google - we assume they're preparing some sort of competitor to iCloud (probably integrated with Google Drive in some way), and we'd rather use that than develop something on our own. We also expect that given Google's expertise in this area, once they do release it we won't have to wait a year or two for them to update it to a point where it's actually usable, unlike with iCloud.

dustpuppy

榜眼

Could you enable haptic feedback in the flashcard module (as an option maybe) ? I love haptic feedback when typing on swiftkey, I'm thinking it should be enjoyable to have it while reviewing flashcards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

dustpuppy said:
Could you enable haptic feedback in the flashcard module (as an option maybe) ? I love haptic feedback when typing on swiftkey, I'm thinking it should be enjoyable to have it while reviewing flashcards.

Maybe, but it's the first time anybody's requested this on either platform so I think we'd need some more interest before we could consider it.

ckatt

状元

Looking good! I love all the changes and new features. I'm also seeing a big speed increase in a lot of areas. well done.
I had one crash when in flash cards caused by rotating the screen, i didn't make a log, but it only happened once and i cant make it happen again.
funny thing when you long tap on the entries in the welcome screen list ( browse entries, history ect) it treats them like dictionary entries and i can add to flash card or even play audio but i don't know what its saying.
oh and the new ocr stuff is great but i can't change my flash card category with a long tap anymore.
Thanks for the great new beta! :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
I had one crash when in flash cards caused by rotating the screen, i didn't make a log, but it only happened once and i cant make it happen again.

OK, let me know if it happens again.

ckatt said:
funny thing when you long tap on the entries in the welcome screen list ( browse entries, history ect) it treats them like dictionary entries and i can add to flash card or even play audio but i don't know what its saying.

Heh, that's a funny little bug.

ckatt said:
oh and the new ocr stuff is great but i can't change my flash card category with a long tap anymore.

Hmm, don't know when that happened, I remember just testing that the other day... thanks.

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
(6) User Dictionary (UD): no display of Kana in Main Screen
(7) UD: no display of Kana in Entire Entry
(8) UD: Edit Entry is OK (@ in first place is invisible)
But this one is really dangerous: if you tap Edit Entry and try to exit, than the question "Exit without saving?" comes up. you have to tap yes to keep the data, using "Save" destroys the pronunciation information even without any change
We'll investigate these three, but since Japanese still isn't something we're officially supporting we can really only make simple / unlikely-to-cause-problems fixes for now.
At first sight I was disappointed, because my (by WM import created) user dictionary did not display any Kana wherever and no @. Then I created a new user dictionary with Android import, and this USER DICTIONARY SHOWS ひらがな and カタカナ!!! Great!! No more WM needed!

Actually that means that the above (6) - (8) are solved, and moreover the user dictionary import with japanese flashcards now also works with Android. The only thing left for japanese support would be the search for Kana in pronunciation, but that is only for reference and not really important compared with this great success.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

HW60 said:
At first sight I was disappointed, because my (by WM import created) user dictionary did not display any Kana wherever and no @. Then I created a new user dictionary with Android import, and this USER DICTIONARY SHOWS ひらがな and カタカナ!!! Great!! No more WM needed!

Great! We also added an undo arrow to the flashcard drawing box if you didn't notice that yet - there were some other reasons for making the under-the-hood changes that enabled that, but once we'd done those anyway it was very easy to add an undo button.

alex_hk90

状元

Just installed 2.4.0 Beta 4a, on top of 2.4.0 Beta 3c (the last Beta 3 version).

I think I've enabled the Cantonese in the settings but I can't see anything new in the PLC dictionary - do I need to do some kind of restart to get it to show up?

Also, I'm not sure about the new E and C icons - while they make more sense than the light and dark coloured books, I don't feel that they look as nice.

Looking forward to the upcoming Cantonese features. :)

HW60

状元

Some problems encountered:
First card of repetition series (in my flashcard DB profile Hanzi-Cr-RS) shows screen

The bottom information of the same profile looks somewhat cramped:

When during the first repetition session I wanted to copy the last screen and returned to Pleco, Pleco terminated and lost most of the information of the session (alogcat by mail).

Attachments

• 2012-11-27 00.11.10.png
    2012-11-27 00.11.10.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 2012-11-27 00.15.42.png
    2012-11-27 00.15.42.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,234

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

alex_hk90 said:
Just installed 2.4.0 Beta 4a, on top of 2.4.0 Beta 3c (the last Beta 3 version).

I think I've enabled the Cantonese in the settings but I can't see anything new in the PLC dictionary - do I need to do some kind of restart to get it to show up?

Did you skip over the prompt to update the built-in data files? Go into Settings / General and you can reset it so that that prompt will appear again on the next startup.

alex_hk90 said:
Also, I'm not sure about the new E and C icons - while they make more sense than the light and dark coloured books, I don't feel that they look as nice.

True, but the books just didn't make any sense at all - couldn't even tell which dictionaries you were looking at. And compared to the old icons (with their horribly blocky font) I think this still looks a lot better, so for most users it won't be as negative a change.

HW60 said:
First card of repetition series (in my flashcard DB profile Hanzi-Cr-RS) shows screen

Still no luck reproducing this, even on a One X... it may be rare enough that we can't do anything about it until we release the thing officially and get more reports from other users, unfortunately.

HW60 said:
The bottom information of the same profile looks somewhat cramped:

Yeah, that's just sloppy - thanks.

HW60 said:
When during the first repetition session I wanted to copy the last screen and returned to Pleco, Pleco terminated and lost most of the information of the session (alogcat by mail).

We'll investigate, thanks.

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
Still no luck reproducing this, even on a One X... it may be rare enough that we can't do anything about it until we release the thing officially and get more reports from other users, unfortunately.
With the Pleco version just before the yesterday update, the bug (?) happened almost every time I used that profile. I just tried to reproduce it, but it took 4 times, then it happened again. I will send you the alogcat, but probably I made a mistake with that program (leaving without saving, then saving). But I am sure to reproduce and alogcat it again.
mikelove said:
HW60 said:
We'll investigate, thanks.
I am no longer sure that Pleco lost most of the information - I had started the session before midnight, and restarted after Plecos termination after midnight, and then compared the number of cards to test - but after midnight those numbers cannot be compared, because the flashcards of the next day were added to the session.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:

OK, let me know if it happens again.
It happened again. looks like if i have the drawing overlay open and rotate my phone it crashes.

mfcb

状元

after update, tried to delete addon "chinese text-to-speech", somehow overlooked the paid add-on and found one in free addon section, but on delete that one, pleco haltet...
i just installed the updated addon, seems to work, no problems yet.

during flashcard session (with BT headset) all previous problems seem to be gone! but had 2 or 3 cards where initial audio ended abruptly, on second play (by button) normal.
maybe my phone was busy somewhere else, so will continue to test...

mfcb

状元

mfcb said:
after update, tried to delete addon "chinese text-to-speech", somehow overlooked the paid add-on and found one in free addon section, but on delete that one, pleco haltet...
i just installed the updated addon, seems to work, no problems yet.

during flashcard session (with BT headset) all previous problems seem to be gone! but had 2 or 3 cards where initial audio ended abruptly, on second play (by button) normal.
maybe my phone was busy somewhere else, so will continue to test...

sorry, looks like i did not refresh, after i came home from work, so i did not install B4a...
also the audio abruptly ending did not appear again (till now)

mfcb

状元

tried to long-tap dict icon, selected full-text search all english dicts, but whatever searchterm (chinese char with or without wildcards) does return same list as full-text search all chinese dicts...

also, when i open reader with fresh clipboard, afterwards normal pleco icon again opens the reader with (stale) clipbord content

New TTS versus old one:

New TTS is noticeably faster on my ASUS TF101 tablet. That results in words that seem to overlap each other, and sounds very "jerky".

On the other hand, it read through a long paragraph without any noticeable pauses to "catch up". The old TTS engine would read about half of the paragraph before a pause, presumably while it was either rebuffering, or building a new set, etc.

So, I'd say that the audio is quite a bit poorer in quality.

Unfortunately, I deleted the "Free Chinese TTS engine", per instructions, so I can't play them both.

I also don't have the correct audio patch cord to be able to record into a newer laptop with a single mic/headphone plug.

I haven't found a setting to control the speed yet. :(

Pretty sure I quoted a full paragraph before, but if not, here it is:
第一幕 吟游 第一章 晨风

暗红的火焰从炉膛中升了起来,铁匠佛伦正在使劲地把一块已经烧红透的铁在毡板上敲着,修特站在不远处的角落里,不声不响地看着这一切。今天是他的18岁生日,当然了,也是他成为一名正式的战士的时间。今天在太阳下山之前,老铁匠将把这一块在18年前就许下诺言的盾牌交给修特。而明天,在太阳升起的时候,一群和修特同时将迎来成人仪式的年轻人将走进这片泪之森林中,并将猎得的第一只猛兽带回村庄。当能做成这一点的时候,村子里的长老将把象征着长大成为真正战士的徽章亲自别到年轻人的兄前。从这一刻开始,他们将担任保卫村庄的重大的责任……这是村子几十年来未曾改变过的传统。以后,也应该不会改变过。

laurenth

秀才

Ouch, the reader clipboard no longer works. If I select text and then tap on the clipboard icon, nothing is stored in the clipboard... However, I can "Copy full entry" and "Copy headword" (nice addition, btw) from the dictionary.