PDF support for OCR

mornir

Hi,

I have ebooks in PDF format and I would like to use Pleco OCR on them.
I read that PDF support for iPhone OCR was planned in the next big update. Do you know when it will be released?

And will it be possible to OCR the whole ebook and save it as one big block of recognized text, so it can be open in the Document File Reader. Reading Chinese texts in the Document File Reader is more comfortable (bigger characters, wider reading screen) and more convenient (bookmarks).

A minor problem is that I wouldn't be reading the original text, but I think that Pleco OCR is very accurate and my PFDs are clean.

Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mornir said:
I have ebooks in PDF format and I would like to use Pleco OCR on them.
I read that PDF support for iPhone OCR was planned in the next big update. Do you know when it will be released?

Wish I did, but sadly no - it is indeed planned for that release, though.

mornir said:
And will it be possible to OCR the whole ebook and save it as one big block of recognized text, so it can be open in the Document File Reader. Reading Chinese texts in the Document File Reader is more comfortable (bigger characters, wider reading screen) and more convenient (bookmarks).

That's not part of our current plans, basically because we don't think OCR is really reliable enough for it yet - you'll end up with a lot of gibberish from page numbers / lines / bits of shadow on the page / etc. Better bet would be to use a PDF OCR package on your desktop - there are several of those to choose from.