"Old variant" circular loop

JD

状元
I'm trying to understand a behavior in Pleco and I'm not sure if it's a lack of understanding on my part or if I'm seeing something odd.

If I search for "fa3", I get a set of results as shown in my first image attachment. I select the second item, 法.

In the CC dictionary, it says for definition 1: "old variant of fǎ [法]"

If I click on the hyperlink on "fǎ" it takes me to a new page that did not appear on my "search list" on the left. (See second attachment). Why is it not on my original search list?

Additionally, the entry in the CC dictionary still shows: "old variant of fǎ [法]", which when selected takes me to this page again in a circular-logic manner. This makes no sense to me, as it seems to want to take me somewhere, but instead is looping back.

Why are these two behaviors happening?

JD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 395
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 458

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This relates to an issue in CC that we're still working to address; basically, the problem is that while we do have a system for marking words as variants, it doesn't yet support classifying the variants as 'old' / 'Japanese' / 'Taiwan' / etc variants of a word. (none of the other dictionaries in our catalog support that) So for that reason, CC entries that describe a variant as a particular type of variant keep that old 'variant of' text in too, in spite of the fact that this creates some confusing looping. We're hoping to address this in an upcoming release by adding a system to officially encode those 'old' etc tags.