Official iPad Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
DotComCTO said:
Mike, I know you don't have an iPad 2 yet, but is the OCR camera code tied to the iOS platform/model, or does the code look to see if a camera is present?

It just checks for the camera - the warnings about the lack of a camera / lack of autofocus come from a hardware feature check rather than something model-specific. So the rear camera probably will work, but as I said the ergonomics are probably going to be somewhat less-than-ideal...

DotComCTO

秀才
mikelove said:
DotComCTO said:
Mike, I know you don't have an iPad 2 yet, but is the OCR camera code tied to the iOS platform/model, or does the code look to see if a camera is present?

It just checks for the camera - the warnings about the lack of a camera / lack of autofocus come from a hardware feature check rather than something model-specific. So the rear camera probably will work, but as I said the ergonomics are probably going to be somewhat less-than-ideal...

OK! That's good news. At least I'll be able to give it a whirl and report back. I expect that you're right about the ergonomics, but it's definitely worth a try. I'm disappointed Apple didn't use the cameras and flash that are in the iPhone 4. Nevertheless, we'll soon find out how well this works!

:)

--DotComCTO

simple

秀才
Hello

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I am considering getting an ipad (version 1) for use with Pleco - unfortunately ipad 2 is not available in my location yet. I am particularly interested in its still image ocr function. I am planning on running Pleco at the same time as one other piece of software, multitasking between the two. I am just wondering how well does pleco (particularly still image OCR) perform on the ipad. Is is memory much of an obvious constraint.

Thank you

Sam

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
simple said:
I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I am considering getting an ipad (version 1) for use with Pleco - unfortunately ipad 2 is not available in my location yet. I am particularly interested in its still image ocr function. I am planning on running Pleco at the same time as one other piece of software, multitasking between the two. I am just wondering how well does pleco (particularly still image OCR) perform on the ipad. Is is memory much of an obvious constraint.

It does use up a lot of memory, yes - no way around it when you're dealing with high-resolution image files, unfortunately. And the original iPad is less-than-stellar at multitasking anyway - didn't really ship with enough RAM - so it's very likely that you'd see both apps being frequently terminated in the background, though a lot of that would depend on the memory requirements of the other app.

simple

秀才
Thanks for the info. It seems the lower end first generation ipads are also hard to come across now so I will wait for the ipad 2.

Thanks

Sam