Numbers + Flashcards

ZKD

举人
Hey Mike,

As always, thank you for such an excellent application.

Flashcard question: I make all of my own sentence flashcards. Recently, I've started studying financial Chinese and so input more stats and figures as part of the cards. Unfortunately, when I input numbers, pleco reads them as character inputs and will color them according to tone defined for the following characters (the same is the case for English words or letters like). The result is that all of the tone allocations for the following characters get confused and X number of characters at the end have no tone allocation (I attached a pic of an example).

The good news is I have really internalized the color coding for tones. The bad news is this now drives me nuts. Is there a way to define certain groupings of text in a way that results in their being excluded from tone key (I get I'm mixing terminology but not sure what to call all of this stuff)?

Thanks,

ZKD

举人
Here is the pic. Didn't work as a PNG

Attachments

• IMG_9105副本.jpg
    IMG_9105副本.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 426

ZKD

举人
So I didn't look at this particular picture carefully but it looks like 去年阿里研究院 portion is correctly color coded (I believe I'm using the default) but then you can see the BCG thing starts issues. It seems to happen inconsistently? Maybe if it isat the beginning of an entry it doesn't factor in?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We actually do have a workaround for this, though it's a bit new + not super well tested; if you insert the character ¿ in the pinyin or the character side it 'consumes' a character/tone on the opposite side. So in other words, if you stick a ¿¿¿ in the place in your Pinyin string that corresponds to that "BCG," that should prevent the system from assigning them tone colors.

ZKD

举人
Worked perfectly. I went back in and saw that a handful of the cards already had ¿ put into the cards. Any insight as to why some do it automatically and others don't?