New to pleco - is there any way I can incorporate sentence examples into my flashcard learning?

Fuego

Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to find much discussion as to incorporating sentences into Pleco's flashcard system. I understand Anki is able to do this, however, I much prefer Pleco's extensive features made for chinese learning.

Currently I have a pretty good understanding and set up of my flashcard routine, however, I'm trying to make it even more efficient by including as much context to my flashcards as possible. Ideally I would like to be able to add example sentences for a beginner level on the front of the card, with the word I'm learning to be highlighted. Although I understand I can make sentence cards from the dictionary, I would prefer not make new categories again for the numerous flashcards I've already added.

It's also difficult to rely upon the dictionary meanings, and I would much prefer to use the meanings that I have come across from reading in the wild, as it usually better suits my learning level. As a relative beginner, I was hoping someone would be able to assist in the best method to use Pleco's softward to achieve this outcome.

Much appreciated!

Shun

状元
Hi Fuego,

it's possible to add example sentences to pre-existing flashcards in Pleco 3.2 if you are willing to edit the cards' definitions and paste sentences in. If you have a flashcard for, let's say, 答应, you could add example sentences to the card's definition leaving out the 答应, and also add a translation of the sentence, if desired.

Hope this helps,

Shun

Ledu

举人
@Fuego , Pleco is a lot better than Anki in my opinion too.

What I have done in the past:
-Make a text file of sentences I want to learn (or from the wild). Make this into a sentence flashcard category. But later I found I could just read that same text file over and over, perhaps with an audio recording too. Just reading the text file seems less time consuming for me.

What I now do:
-Learn 5 words a day with SRS. Write down in physical notebook the character and then click on the box with the arrow and write 2 WORDS it is often used with, then 1 SENTENCE. Go back to the flashcard test and keep working through the cards. The example sentences are not the ones I found from my readings but that is okay. It requires no tech skills and anyone can do this. This also might be a little more efficient than spending time to get the app to do exactly what I want.