Merging User dictionaries?

dcarpent

榜眼
I have a user dictionary that I created on my iPad, and a different one that I created on my iPhone. Is there a way to merge these two dictionaries into a single, common dictionary?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dcarpent said:
I have a user dictionary that I created on my iPad, and a different one that I created on my iPhone. Is there a way to merge these two dictionaries into a single, common dictionary?

If there aren't any duplicates, the best approach would be to simply export one dictionary to a text file, then import it into another dictionary.

If they do have a lot of duplicates, you'd probably want to rig up something with flashcards instead - export them both to text files (and maybe back them up too), delete both dictionaries and create a new empty one, back up your flashcard database, erase your flashcard database, import them into flashcards (with duplicates not allowed), then do a batch command to convert all of these custom flashcards to user dictionary entries.

dcarpent

榜眼
Thanks. That worked. I'll be very happy when it is possible to sync user dictionaries across devices (and sync flashcards). I know this has been discussed a lot, but can you briefly describe current plans?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dcarpent said:
Thanks. That worked. I'll be very happy when it is possible to sync user dictionaries across devices (and sync flashcards). I know this has been discussed a lot, but can you briefly describe current plans?

Up in the air, actually - we're not really all that happy with how our experimental iCloud-based solution for flashcards is working, so we're considering throwing up our hands at the whole mess and just doing manual sync via Dropbox and Google Drive for now - would basically just be automating what you can do now via a tedious sequence of Backup / Restore Database commands and "Share Files," (instead you'd have a "Sync Now" button and a "Last Sync" time at the top of the Flashcards tab), but we could eventually add automated support for merging differences too, and in the meantime we would at least have a very easy way to get the changes you'd made on one device to the other.

We could pretty easily extend whatever we do for user dictionaries to flashcards as well, but I think we'd probably wait until we've arrived at a flashcard solution we're happy with before doing that.