Losing things

ozinchina

I had my pleco software on my imate PDA but if I allow the batery to get low I have lost my flashcards and this time I've lost the software.

I have it stored on my storage card and it still seems to be there but I cannot get at it. I have lost the pleco icon and when I do a search I'm told that pleco cannot be found.

I'm pretty new with using the imate so apprecaite a little help in trying to fix the problem and then avoid it in the future.

Anticiapte hearing from someone on this soon.

cheers
Penny :shock:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sounds like your internal memory keeps getting wiped when the battery runs out. The software gets rather unstable when you load all of it on a memory card, so probably the best solution to this is to use some sort of automated backup utility that will copy all of your files / flashcards / etc to your memory card on a regular basis; that way, if the battery runs out you'll have a recent backup which you can easily restore. Search Handango or PocketGear and you should find lots of good backup programs there.

To reinstall the software / restore the Pleco icon, all you should need to do is run the PlecoDict installer again and select only the "PlecoDict Engine" and "Song Font" components (the other stuff should still be on the memory card). You'll likely also need to install your keyfile again.

gato

状元
The best thing is not to let the battery run low. Lithium batteries on these PDA are meant to recharged before they run low. Running them out actually shorten their lives.

ozinchina

thanks for advice

Thanks for you prompt advice.

Mike, all I have on my PC is the instruction booklet and Uninstall program. Can you explain what I need to do to run the program on my Imate again. I have tried to logon to the myorders to download again but cannot remember my password. What should it look like or should I just apply for a new one. Keen to get this thing happening again. I need my dictionary.

Yes the battery is something that I should be more dilegent about but I was concerned about having it on the charger all the time.

And sometimes there are so many other things crowding life that I just forget all about it.

Thanks

gato

状元
Yes the battery is something that I should be more dilegent about but I was concerned about having it on the charger all the time.
It's ok for a lithium battery to be charged all the time. It's better than to be run down completely.

gato said:
It's ok for a lithium battery to be charged all the time. It's better than to be run down completely.

This is something I have never heard before. Although I have read that Lithium doesn't have the 'memory loss' problem of ni-cad,\, therefore can be safely charged at any time, I still thought it was best practice to run them as as flat as possible before recharging. In fact, I have been following this procedure with my 40 gig 3G ipod, and I still get a four hours of use out of it over three years later (after near daily use)

I am not saying you are wrong, but I would love to know of any study or information on this, because I have though the opposite for a long time.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually, Li-ion batteries benefit from being topped off frequently; it's not good for them to be depleted to 0%, and indeed most of them include a circuit to automatically cut off power once they get below a certain threshhold in order to avoid damage.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery (under "Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life") for more on this. Or for a more official corporate source, here's Apple's lithium battery page: "you can also recharge a Lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep Nickel-based batteries at peak performance."

Re your previous question, in that case you should probably just run through the install again from the beginning. First, go to Start \ Settings \ System \ Remove Programs on your Pocket PC and delete any PlecoDict files that are still in there (there probably won't be any but it's best to make sure), then download another copy of the installer from this page and run through the install process again. For the keyfile, requesting another password is probably the easiest way to get that back (they're sent out instantly after you make the request); the original password would be in your order confirmation e-mail (Order #... from Pleco Software).

ozinchina

Have keyfile

Mike, I have the keyfile, just don't have the installer. Pleco is still on the storage card so should I delete all of it from there? Is that what you are saying.

I'm not sure about the password to download the pleco software again. I'll try it tonight and see how I go. I'm feeling a little brain dead on this Techi stuff right now.

Thanks for the advice and assistance to get thiings running again.

ozinchina

Mission Accomplished

Thanks Mike,

Too easy. I am grateful that this is pretty much a 'no brainer' as my Meiguoren de pengyou would say.

BTW How do you get you lovely Hanzi character names in you profile. Hope it is as easy as reinstalling the software.

And if I saved the download to my PC can I reinstall from there if I happen to lose it again or do I just download again.

Thanks
Penny

PS I love the fact that I can 'edit' after posting as I always seem to miss a type or something

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Glad to hear it.

The profile characters aren't actually names, they're rank badges - you get them after a certain # of posts. (or by having an administrator account)

You can reinstall from your PC or re-download the software if you lose it again, the installer doesn't care about how many times it's been used and our website doesn't care about how many times you've downloaded it.