How to upload English list for use in flashcards

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Enable English-to-Chinese flashcards in Settings / Flashcards, then choose English-Chinese as your import language in Import Cards. You'll also need to pick English-Chinese as your test language in Test Settings.

In general this is not something we recommend, though - if you're learning Chinese we strongly recommend learning Chinese words as individual entities rather than trying to memorize the contents of a particular English-to-Chinese card.

Enable English-to-Chinese flashcards in Settings / Flashcards, then choose English-Chinese as your import language in Import Cards. You'll also need to pick English-Chinese as your test language in Test Settings.

In general this is not something we recommend, though - if you're learning Chinese we strongly recommend learning Chinese words as individual entities rather than trying to memorize the contents of a particular English-to-Chinese card.

I'm fluent in Chinese already. I studied abroad in an immersion program for 9 months. I'm studying for a medical interpreter/translator exam and the study material has a list of only English words. If you know a better method to ace the test, let me know.

daal

探花
Mile Love wrote: "In general this is not something we recommend, though - if you're learning Chinese we strongly recommend learning Chinese words as individual entities rather than trying to memorize the contents of a particular English-to-Chinese card."

I don't quite understand this advice. If I'm trying to formulate a thought in Chinese, and I am thinking of something for which I know the word in English, wouldn't it be helpful if I had previously practiced remembering the Chinese word for that something?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Alex Rosenkrantz - fair enough. Sorry, but most of the time when people write about E-C flashcards it's after they've just started out learning Chinese.

@daal - there isn't a one-to-one mapping between Chinese and English words, that's the problem - Chinese words often encapsulate the meanings of several different English words depending on context, or only a part of the meaning of one particular English word. And of course there'll often be quite a few Chinese translations for a particular English word. So particularly when starting out we encourage people to pick some common Chinese words and learn those, rather than picking some common English words and learning their Chinese translations.

@Alex Rosenkrantz - fair enough. Sorry, but most of the time when people write about E-C flashcards it's after they've just started out learning Chinese.

@daal - there isn't a one-to-one mapping between Chinese and English words, that's the problem - Chinese words often encapsulate the meanings of several different English words depending on context, or only a part of the meaning of one particular English word. And of course there'll often be quite a few Chinese translations for a particular English word. So particularly when starting out we encourage people to pick some common Chinese words and learn those, rather than picking some common English words and learning their Chinese translations.

You were right. The E-C flashcards suck. I decided to look on the internet for a list of E-C medical terms and found a pretty good one. I have to modify it though.

My question this time is, is it possible to upload 2 English terms for 1 Chinese translated equivalent? The problem is that the list I found has both English common and medical terms plus the Chinese translation. Here are some examples:

Angina drug Antianginal 痉挛痛药
Anxiety Agitation 激动
Artery X-ray Arteriography 动脉X 光

Sometimes both the English common and medical term are the same, so I can delete the same word, but many times they're not, and instead of having duplicate Chinese word flashcards, I was wondering if I could put the two English terms on one side of the card and have the Chinese on the back. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, you'd simply put both English words before the tab - they'd show up together on the English side of the card. It would muck up duplicate checking if you wanted to create other E-C flashcards from dictionary entries, but it doesn't sound like you do.