Hotsync trouble

Chris

I recently brought an old Zire 72 from ebay, solely for the purpose of running pleco, but Hotsync wont connect the thing to my computer. Argh. It could be Vista's fault, but i tried it on my girlfriend's laptop (OS XP) which also failed to connect via Hotsync. Is there a way to circumvent this problem by buying a cheap USB card reader, and then putting pleco onto that? Im not the most savvy computer users, so please talk down to me, thanks for any help in advance.

Does the Zire 72 has Bluetooth? I think it does. You can then just get the USB Bluetooth stick and sync via it.

My PPC has also sync issues (I guess the contacts get bad) and I will do the same.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It is indeed Vista's fault, the Palm OS install system pretty much won't work at all in Vista. (still waiting for them to release a bug fix) Not sure why your girlfriend's XP laptop wouldn't work, though - I'd suggest that you reinstall Palm Desktop (Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, uninstall it, then reinstall using the CD that came with the Zire or the downloadable installer from Palm's website), hard reset the Zire (stick a paperclip in the reset hole in the back while holding down the power button, wiping its memory), and then try again.

A USB card reader would also work, though the install procedure is considerably more difficult in those cases - you have to manually copy some of the data files from the memory card to your Zire's internal memory, which requires the use of a third-party program like FileZ (http://www.nosleep.net). But send us an e-mail if the Palm Desktop reinstall doesn't work and we can send you detailed instructions for a card reader install.