Further hanzi and pronounciations in flashcard definitions

Marc

举人
In some flashcard definitions there are some further hanzi and its pronunciations. Some in blue, some in normal color. A tap on the normal colored ones triggers the pop-up definition (like in full-screen dictionary entry), but a tap on the blue ones does nothing (while in fulls-screen dictionary entries they link directly to another full-screen dictionary entry). Is this inconsistency a bug or a feature?

I thought it could be linked to the flashcard setting in Display > Definition sections. But even when I set it to "definition + examples + links" a tap on the blue ones doesn't trigger anything. If this worked as I expected I would hope for a setting "definition + links".

What am I missing?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Bug - actually those links shouldn't even be showing in flashcards, though, could you give me some examples of words you're seeing them in (and from which dictionary)?

Marc

举人
Hmm... I think those links I see make sense to be shown. Most of them are either further explanations e.g. for usage, or antonyms or the proper measure words for the headwords. I don't want to miss them. When they are shown in flashcards I learn those bits en passant and if the links worked I could easily get the full entry for further clarification if need be. I would have been glad many times if they had worked. There are even some definitions e.g. in TCE which only state "Same as [other hanzi]" or similar. Such a definition is pretty useless when I don't know the other hanzi and the link doesn't work.

Such links appear in many definitions in at least two dictionaries (TCE and CC). A few random examples: 层 (TCE), 手表 (TCE, CE), 事情 (TCE, CC), 前面 (TCE), 错 (TCE), 报纸 (TCE, CC)

Some hanzi would also make sense with only pop-up definitions. But for others only a link to the full definition screen makes sense, e.g. those linking to further information for usage which I think would not show up in pop-up definitions.

If you make the links work could you please add a setting "definition + links" (without examples) to the flashcard settings in Display > Definition sections? Thanks a lot.