Flashcards using Excel file, PLC, customized

hrkim

There's GOT to be an easier way to do this!!

I'd like to create an excel file that has both the Pleco dictionary entry, as well as example sentences of my own so that itll be much easier to add and edit my own example sentences on my PC on excel (rather than on notepad which means each entry will be one longgggggg line; and also rather than typing on my itouch qwerty)

I tried the following but didn't work out...
(1) Use excel to create list with Chinese characters only
(2) Import into itouch pleco and use pleco's dictionary entries
(3) Export file as .text document (save on computer) which should now have Chinese characters, pinyin, and definition
(4) Copy and paste the three columns into excel
(5) Edit and add my own example sentences to the definition section (3rd column)
(6) Save spreadsheet as unicode
(7) Import custom edited flashcards back into pleco

Some problems included:
-When i export as txt, the pinyin tone symbols convert into numbers that don't switch back to tone symbols when I import back for the last time into the itouch/iphone in step 7
-The examples I added in excel became a different flashcard altogether
-Some examples didn't show up at all

This is because I like to edit and add my own examples and different usages in addition to what is provided! Has anyone done this? Please advise, Thank you.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There's not currently any way to export flashcards to a text file, edit them, then reimport the text and have it update your existing cards; to be honest, while we recognize the need for a desktop sync / editing solution we think anything involving moving text files back and forth is too cumbersome to be of use to most of our customers and so we're holding out for something better (possibly web-based).

However, one approach that you could use for desktop editing of flashcards would be to work with the actual flashcard database file (generated by the Backup Database command / updated by the Restore Database command) directly; back up that file, transfer it to your computer, edit it, then upload it back to your iPod and replace the existing database with the updated one.

Our flashcard databases are in a standard format called SQLite; the SQLite Manager add-on for Firefox is a good free utility for managing databases in that format. The text of all of your cards is in the pleco_flash_cards table.

One caveat is that the definition text is only included for flashcards that don't link to dictionary entries, i.e. cards that were created with custom definitions originally or that were converted to custom-definition cards with the "Convert to custom card" command in the single-card editing screen on your device. For licensing reasons we're not able to support a batch command to convert all of your cards to custom cards in one go, so the best workaround for this would probably be to export your entire database in XML with definitions included, back up your database with Backup Database as a safety measure, delete the original database (last button in Settings / Flashcards), then import the XML file into your now-empty brand new flashcard database. You can then back up that new database with Backup Database, transfer it to your PC and start your editing.

there is an easier way to do this, you can import a word list into to pleco and make cards from them----providing you're satisfied with the pleco definitions.

1. create a list of words form an excel file
2.copy the words into a text file--i only copied the chinese words, no defs.
3. import the text file to Pleco
4. view the file, it will only let you copy and paste into the pasteboard reader.
4. once in the pasteboard reader, save the file
5. import cards from the import screen.
6. magic.
7. if you have a sentence or a term pleco doesn't recognize, it will create a card for it and leave the definition empty.

best,
K

hrkim said:
I'd like to create an excel file that has both the Pleco dictionary entry, as well as example sentences of my own so that itll be much easier to add and edit my own example sentences on my PC on excel (rather than on notepad which means each entry will be one longgggggg line; and also rather than typing on my itouch qwerty).

Do you really want to use Excel ? The best solution remains the Text Editor solution. If you want a free software, I recommend you to use "Notepad2" (see here : http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html). You can configure the software to follow your needs :

Notepad2 configuration
1)Settings->Tab Settings
Tabulator width:2
Indentation size:0
Insert tabs as spaces : NO
Tab key reformats indentation: YES
2)View->Default Font
Lucida Console-Normal-20-Occidental ; this one works fine
3)View->[active the following settings:]
Word wrap
Show white space
Visual brace matching
Highlight current line
Line numbers
4)Don't forget to save your settings F7

Pleco Flashcards Pattern :
繁體字[簡體字]<TAB>pin1yin1<TAB>definition

Example :
Code:
掏[掏]	tao1	V: prendre et sortir un objet (stylo, arme à feu, etc.)

The editor has also a Regex option for "Search and Replace". But if you plan to use a lot of regex (to convert flashcards pattern), I recommend you Editpad pro ; that's the best.