Flashcards modes

dightonjw

秀才
Some time ago i wiped out all of my legacy data and committed to using the 4.0. it seems that something about the methodology for learning and reviewing flashcards has changed. In 3.0 I would review cards each day, usually up to several hundred cards per day. It would give me clear statistics on how many I had “learned” and several other useful statistics.

In 4.0 I create flashcards (uncategorized) as I find new words and then review them daily. for “learning” I use the simple test under the learning header, and then later on in the day I go back and I drill using the “repeat last incorrect“ option under the drill header.

Is this the recommended method? I have changed nothing about the tests and have left all the settings, default other than setting the max number of cards for learn to 200.

I don’t know what any of the statistic charts mean, so making my own doesn’t make a lot of sense. Could we have some default statistics in thenext release?

Could you also provide some clarity on how the flashcard system is meant to be used in 4.0? Test, whether the defaults are good enough, and how to get better statistics?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0022.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That all seems correct method-wise, yes. But "simple" really isn't doing any sort of management of which cards you're learning or putting cards into groups, it just tests you on all of the cards you've selected (or a random subset of them), so there aren't a whole lot of statistics to offer on that aside from the 'answer history' chart we show now - cards aren't being moved into 'learning' or 'review' or whatever. (much like the corresponding Simple profile in our old app)

If you want it to do that sort of learning management stuff, create a "learning" profile and test with that instead. That also doesn't require much configuration - the main thing I'd do is pick which categories to draw cards from and which test types to use. It's closer to our old "Spaced Repetition" profile, though it doesn't actually use Spaced Repetition by default anymore (instead any card that has reached 'learned' is added to a pool where it comes up regularly in rough order of how long it's been since it was last reviewed, which among other things addresses the nasty problem from the old app of lengthy review backlogs).