Flashcards, Learning Workflow

joefish

OK, so I'm using Pleco more and more each day as I try to get my head around the language, and what the teacher expects from me!

I have some related questions:
  1. What's your workflow in learning flashcards? By this I mean, what order of testing do you use to help learn them? I'm thinking of the "score-based" testing method here, eg first prompt for definition when shown character and tone; second prompt for tone when shown character and definition, etc. What do you find most effective?
  2. There are 8 stages in the "score-based" setting; what if I don't need/want to configure all 8? I guess I don't fully understand the way the system knows when a card is learned: if I want to "stop" (have the card re-appear as it would under any other srs-based test method) once I'm done with 5 of those, how should I configure this?
  3. What is the best way/a good way to mix test types? Eg I want to first do some multi-choice tests, and once a particular character is "learned" through those score-based stages, then I want to practice writing it with "fill in the blanks". Do I keep the same scorefile for those characters, but only test for cards with a certain score or more? (I do want that card to keep appearing in my other tests.) Or do I manually add cards to a whole new category once learned in the first batch of tests, and test writing with a new scorefile? (I want to avoid extra manual work, if it's not unhelpful to do so).
Hope those make sense! Thanks for your help.