flashcards-how to deal with a big stack of cards?

yuvalcho

举人
Hi.

What's the best way to deal with a big stack of cards...for example the new HSK. it has thousands of cards.
lets say i choose HSK 5. it has 1300 cards. so what's the setting to have in order to learn it.
I don't want to set different settings every time. what's the best permanent settings?

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Go into Card Selection and turn on "limit new cards" - configure it to introduce a set # of new cards per day (however many you'd like).

yuvalcho

举人
Does it work also with filters on? If I have 1300 cards, but I already know 1000 of them, can I be tested only on those cards? Is there a way to export to a new test (not category) only a subset of the cards? let's say I test all of the, but get 300 wrong...so how do I manage that?

Thanks for the (quick) reply.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes - the "new card" management system works within the pool of cards that pass through whatever filters you've set.

yuvalcho

举人
Thanks.
Is there a way to export those specific cards to a new category though? i'd really want to focus on a specific subset of the whole category and dont really want to change settings every tie ust in order to get a specific group...if not i think it could be a nice feature.

oh and btw, i wish there was a way to add some specific extra buttons on the search screen...maybe on the ipad u do, or at least have more space there. something like a back button, instead of going to history...a lot of times i'm searching for a word, then for a word related to it and want to go back to the original one...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, I don't quite follow - you want the new cards to be in a different category but you don't want to switch to a different category every time you review? Why is it important that they be in a new category then?

Re back buttons, to be honest we aren't happy with our approach to history in general right now - we need to come up with some sort of system that combines 'entries' and 'searches,' separating them like they are now doesn't really leave you with the sense of going 'back.'

yuvalcho

举人
i think a back button (going back for last look-up) actually could work quite nice, it's like how it used to work on web browsers before tabs were added. and it'll b quicker in pleco (-:

the main issue is like that. i'm studying hsk5 words, however i already know most of them.
i want to focus only on the ones i dont feel really strong that i know them (meaning some i dont know, but some i do, just not perfect). so i want to practice only those 300-400 words and not all of the 1300 of them.
i probably could do that just by looking at the list in organize, but it's not the same as while confronting them at a test and actually realizing how well/bad i know them.